Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Interview expenses tax deductible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview expenses tax deductible?

We're in the midst of the fellowship interview season and the costs are adding up quickly. I just remembered that job searching expenses are tax deductible. Does residency and fellowship count? If so, is there a limit or restrictions on which things you can list?
    I haven't added it all up yet, but would estimate around $5-$6K.

Residency does not count, I'm not sure about fellowship. Residency doesn't count because you're not job hunting, it's considered part of your training and you're not moving from one job to another. You're moving from a student to a quasi-job.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

You're moving from a student to a quasi-job.
      Maybe that explains why you've only been "quasi-paid"
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
        Maybe that explains why you've only been "quasi-paid"
        Probably.
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
          Residency does not count, I'm not sure about fellowship. Residency doesn't count because you're not job hunting, it's considered part of your training and you're not moving from one job to another. You're moving from a student to a quasi-job.
          Really? Ops. We counted it. And if our next accountant allows it I'm submitting the number for fellowship expenses as well.
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
            Really? Ops. We counted it. And if our next accountant allows it I'm submitting the number for fellowship expenses as well.
            Everything I've read said that it's not deductible - trust me, I would have liked to do it!!

Fellowship might be because it's moving from one job to another. I don't think, for example, that you can deduct expenses when looking for a job out of undergrad either but I'm not sure. I researched it via multiple sources that said it wasn't but the likelihood of an audit is obviously really low at our income levels.

Comment

According to our accountant, Residency DOES count. We were able to claim moving expenses for internship and residency. A quasi-job is a job.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

After all, you are paying real taxes on quasi-income earned at that quasi-job.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Fellowship might be because it's moving from one job to another. I don't think, for example, that you can deduct expenses when looking for a job out of undergrad either but I'm not sure. I researched it via multiple sources that said it wasn't but the likelihood of an audit is obviously really low at our income levels.
                  Yes, from residency to fellowship might count, and from residency to the first post-training job definitely does. Med school to residency shouldn't count. http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...258312,00.html "You cannot deduct job search expenses if you are looking for a job for the first time."
                  Alison

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                    According to our accountant, Residency DOES count. We were able to claim moving expenses for internship and residency. A quasi-job is a job.
                    Yes, this is true, but the original question was about job search expenses, not moving expenses. Related, but not the same.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

We deducted fellowship interview expenses.
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like residency to fellowship would meet the job search criteria. I'll check with our accountant and see what he thinks.

Comment

We deducted it last year. No problem.
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

For us it wasn't DH's first job. Maybe that's why our accountant counted it. Also this was for 2009 taxes. Maybe thing has changed since then.
                            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Moonlight, it's a moot point now, but you can't deduct job search expenses when looking for a first job in a new profession. From the IRS link posted by spotty_dog:
                              To qualify for a deduction, your expenses must be spent on a job search in your current occupation. You may not deduct expenses you incur while looking for a job in a new occupation.
                              Cristina
                              IM PGY-2

Comment

Working...
                              X