Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Credit Card Fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Fraud

So, in the last 2 weeks I've had 2 different credit card numbers stolen. Two different card companies. One is only in my name, while the other is used by me and DH. So if they were stolen in the same way, it's probably something that I did. I've used them both online to do things like shop, pay our cable bill, book travel, etc. etc. Fortunately all the fraudulent charges were caught early and reversed. I don't know how to prevent this other than not shopping online... What do you do to protect your credit information?
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Honestly? Not a damn thing other than watching statements for fraudulent charges. I've only had one instance where the ex had purchased something and the company kept billing each month and sending more product, so it wasn't exactly fraudulent, but it was shady. I worked with the CC company and they fixed it for me.
    Kris

Comment

Make sure your antivirus software is up to date and that it checks for keyloggers, then run a full system scan. I keep a file with my credit card number, so I just copy and paste it when I shop online.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I feel safer using my card online than in actual stores or restaurants. It just takes a quick additional swipe in a separate card reader for an employee to get your info. Most websites that are labeled https are very secure.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ugh! This happened to me 2 days before leaving for an international trip on BOTH my credit cards. I had to have new cards delivered overnight--thank goodness it didn't happen while I was abroad! Amex is far better about reversing charges on the spot than Visa (through Bank of America). It took over a month of back and forth with BofA to get my money back.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
          Make sure your antivirus software is up to date and that it checks for keyloggers, then run a full system scan. I keep a file with my credit card number, so I just copy and paste it when I shop online.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I feel safer using my card online than in actual stores or restaurants. It just takes a quick additional swipe in a separate card reader for an employee to get your info. Most websites that are labeled https are very secure.
          Since the fraudulent charges were international, I'm betting the problem is online... unless someone locally is selling my cc number internationally.

So this brings me to another question: What antivirus do you use? I currently have Symantec and I use Malwarebytes (free) for malware, since I've read that traditional antivirus software doesn't do so well with malware. However, I'm going to lose my Symantec when we upgrade my Windows this weekend, since DH downloaded it for free when he was working at a university, and we don't have a disc for it (plus the new version of Windows will register as a different computer, so I wouldn't be able to reinstall anyway) Long story short, I'll need new antivirus.

Comment

Sign up on creditkarma.com they'll keep an eye on things too. But we don't do anything special either.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

CC fraud can happen anywhere. That the charges originated overseas doesn't mean much. The info could have just been sold and resold.

For firewall/virus/malware protection, I used to just download the free version of AVG. It's good, but I've found that I like Comodo more. Comodo seems less intrusive to users, while being more thorough and effective.

Also, download the Mozilla web browser. Besides being one of the fastest, it tells you when tracking cookies are being added and gives you the option of keeping some or blocking some/all. It's SUPER helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                CC fraud can happen anywhere. That the charges originated overseas doesn't mean much. The info could have just been sold and resold.

For firewall/virus/malware protection, I used to just download the free version of AVG. It's good, but I've found that I like Comodo more. Comodo seems less intrusive to users, while being more thorough and effective.

Also, download the Mozilla web browser. Besides being one of the fastest, it tells you when tracking cookies are being added and gives you the option of keeping some or blocking some/all. It's SUPER helpful.
                Hm, I'm a fan of Chrome for my browser but I do like the sound of the cookies feature on Firefox... Might have to switch back.

Comment

I just got Bit Defender, but I haven't had it for very long. I think as long as your software has frequent updates, checks for spyware/keyloggers, and works well with your system, you should be fine.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

This happened to us a while back. I thought it was stolen from online too. It turned out to be that three guys from California were part of this larger sophisticated criminal ring. They were using this credit card scanners that looks like part of things you swipe your cards in at gas stations or where ever. They attached it to redbox swipers, walmart swipers, local restaurant swipers, atm swipers and outside gas station swipers. You can hardly tell the difference between them and the real thing if you don't know what you're looking for. That ring was busted a few months after our first credit card fraud instance, but our information was out there online in this data base for anyone to purchase and get duplicate cards. Once they had them they used them in small purchases first to see if it would go through. Once it did they went on a spending spree. The first time was in Arizona, another time in New York and a third time in another State we weren't living in. Finally I had to close our bank account because I felt we were being targeted and it was becoming endless. They target larger known companies like Wells Fargo, Chase, Master Card, Visa so we went to a local credit union about a year ago and we haven't had a problem yet. Those guys that were busted in that credit card fraud ring were just three members of 150 people caught by the secret service in an international crime ring.
                    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                      Honestly? Not a damn thing other than watching statements for fraudulent charges.
                      This. The only time CC fraud should be a permanent problem for you, instead of a temporary inconvenience, is if you don't catch the bad charges in a timely manner. Otherwise, it's on the CC company to enact better protections.

But you might like the extra protection of using only Paypal for online CC purchases, so your number isn't entrusted to a plethora of sites with unconfirmed security protection. Only problem is that not everybody takes PP (and you have to trust PP with your info!)
                      Alison

Comment

A couple credit card companies and banks have services where you can generate temporary numbers to use online. It's a great idea but a PITA in practice.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Hmmmm that at least would curb my online shopping addiction...
                          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Working...
                          X