Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Home owners insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided against the warranty. I've heard more bad than good stories re home warranties. My main concern will be getting the house throughly checked out to have an idea of the age/condition of things and then budget/save for potential repairs.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

We got a home warranty in our purchase, the seller paid for it and it was $450 I think. But we won't be renewing it - the company that holds it SUCKS. I had a heck of a time trying to get them to fix a shower, I finally called my own plumber and dealt with it myself.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
        We use AMICA for home/auto/umbrella and have been very happy.

And be sure to get umbrella.
        Reviving this thread -- So umbrella policies, necessary for residents too or just attending-level? Talk to me folks.
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

If you are going to own a house it doesn't matter if you're a physician or not, in training or not, you should have an umbrella policy for extra coverage. You never know when someone could do something as clumsy as tripping on your sidewalk.

Comment

We got one as soon as we bought a house. Same logic as SS.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Okay, I was leaning toward doing it, but thought I'd toss it out there just in case I was being overly cautious.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                If you are going to own a house it doesn't matter if you're a physician or not, in training or not, you should have an umbrella policy for extra coverage. You never know when someone could do something as clumsy as tripping on your sidewalk.
                This. I even had it when I purchased a condo. It's not very expensive and it is worth the peace of mind.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

So the umbrella isn't necessarily to cover liability if you get sued unrelated to your home (med mal or car accident) its to cover additional losses/liability at your home?

Wife to PGY3
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

It is to cover anything above and beyond what your homeowners and/or auto cover. It's not just for home it's just that homes are a much bigger investment then a car so people don't usually get one until you have a home.

Comment

I don't think it would cover or have anything to do with a med mal claim because that is a professional issue and this is a personal policy.

Comment

Working...
                      X