Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help! I fell off the fiscal cliff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I don't like Jan - March. I'm happy when DH has hit the cap. It's a $2000 hit per month for us for those three months.
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
      Ah, maybe that's what happened with us. I also wonder if we have some health insurance changes? I don't have DH's pay stub; I was just looking at the deposit amounts. We definitely don't make anywhere near *that* much!
      Definitely could be. Our individual insurance premium went up to about half again as much sometime late last year. Boo. I'm naive and optimistic but I'm hoping we might get a rebate when rates go down after the individual mandate kicks in next year.
      Alison

Comment

I had to look at DH's paystub after the first check, I was so confused. Ours ended up being the FICA, an increase in health insurance and change in the two state taxes which totally confused me. You really have to look at the stubs with all of the changes to figure out where its really coming from.

What is the additional medicare tax after $200K?
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
          What is the additional medicare tax after $200K?
          It's an extra 0.9%, so income after that $200K threshold will be taxed at 2.35% instead of 1.45%. Basically from 0 to $113K you pay 7.65% FICA, then from 113K to 200K you pay 1.45% FICA, and from 200K on (250K for a family, but the employer's tax guide says to start charging it at 200K per employee -- you may get a refund) you pay 2.35% FICA.
          Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
            FICA was 2%. Additional Medicare tax only kicks in after $200K of income, and only in the pay period where your employer has paid you at least $200K YTD. If you're there after just 7 weeks, I'm hard-pressed to pity you. (The other additional Medicare tax is only on investment income and wouldn't have hit your payroll.)

However, like Kris alluded to, there's a cap on Social Security tax. Once you've hit $113K of gross payroll, you don't have to pay that one any more. So if you were paying 0% SS in December and that jumped to 6.2% in January, that would definitely sting. Silver lining is it goes away again at some point.
            yeah, SS cap day is a holiday in our household!
            - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Working...
            X