Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Disability Policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
    That's what I was thinking/hoping. I'll have to look into it more to find out for sure.
    This is definitely true. Statistically speaking, purely on age, you should be better on the physical when you're younger. And let's not pretend that residency is a "healthy" time for most people...DH took his physical in 4th year when he was working out every day and had almost no stress. I can't even imagine his BP now...
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

(In addtion to the expense of disability insurance) the fact that it is based on your CURRENT salary has me waiting until the end of residency. I know we hope to get it before we are done so that we can continue it after training... but it serves no benefit until after you get the first job. Cuz what good is a fraction of a resident's salary?

ETA: the benefits to getting it during residency are just that it is cheaper because you are younger and your salary is lower and then its easier to continue that policy rather than apply post residency (older w/a higher salary). Right?

Wife to PGY3
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
        (In addtion to the expense of disability insurance) the fact that it is based on your CURRENT salary has me waiting until the end of residency. I know we hope to get it before we are done so that we can continue it after training... but it serves no benefit until after you get the first job. Cuz what good is a fraction of a resident's salary?

Wife to PGY3
        Yes, this is a fair point. It is based on a current salary but it does increase when your salary does. And even though the salary is very low, if he were disabled 20 minutes before the end of residency, the $40k a year would still be more helpful than $0 and all the loans....
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

^^^this
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
            The new one we are getting from the Standard has that kind of clause. If DH were to have to go to something like neurology because he couldn't operate he would still get a disability benefit in addition to his salary.
            We have the same type of clause in ours.

Comment

Getting it early is important but make sure the premium can't increase or if it does you know how much and when when you get it. That is one reason we cancelled our NWM because it had a graduated premium our new Standard policy is the same for 30+ years!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post

ETA: the benefits to getting it during residency are just that it is cheaper because you are younger and your salary is lower and then its easier to continue that policy rather than apply post residency (older w/a higher salary). Right?

Wife to PGY3
                As far as I understand it, I think you're correct.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                  Getting it early is important but make sure the premium can't increase or if it does you know how much and when when you get it. That is one reason we cancelled our NWM because it had a graduated premium our new Standard policy is the same for 30+ years!
                  Ours is the same but for a resident, this could actually be helpful cost-wise...

Comment

It could but NWM shows it as a stable premium with dividends off setting the increase and then when the dividends don't come through, like this year, the premiums go up. So in 1 year our premiums went up significantly which is ridiculous.

Comment

We need a new financial advisor. Does anyone have one they'd recommend who works with people out of state?
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'm pretty sure ours does and while he has other clients e used to work exclusively with docs. I can send you his info when we get home if you'd like.

Comment

Ours does and we LOVE him. He works for NWM but is the one who tracked down the Principal for us when we realized that is better for DH. I was really impressed with him. Let me know if you want his info.

Comment

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/12-thin...ncial-adviser/

Lawrence Keller on that article is our insurance guy. He is also a CFP and offers financial planning: http://www.physicianfinancialservices.com/

I'm thinking of asking him for a one-time check-up to make sure we're not forgetting any insurance coverage or retirement planning vehicles as our net worth grows.
                            Alison

Comment

Working...
                            X