Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Physician Mortgages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MrsK, you've described pretty much our exact residency scenario! We did an 80/20 so we avoided any PMI, but unfortunately they don't really do those anymore. We ended up selling it for more than we "paid", but closing costs and repairs got us.

We want to be in the house we end up buying through our kids' elementary and probably middle school years, so I don't think the lack of equity will end up hurting us like it did in the 4-year residency time frame.

So I'm leaning towards thinking if we can get somewhere where the mortgage is less than we're paying in rent, we should be financially better off, right? We'll likely be in whatever house we buy for at least 8 years, but hopefully longer, to get our kids through elementary school there. (High school is the same for the whole town, so when or if we move, they won't me changing schools then. And there are only 3 middle schools.)

ETA - Right now we're prioritizing paying off highest interest rate debt first, but as we pay that off, we'll roll that into mortgage payments, so we should be able to refinance after several years.
    Last edited by ladymoreta; 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

oh also, Regions Doc loan is 0 PMI
      -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
        oh also, Regions Doc loan is 0 PMI
        Same with Suntrust
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
          That would run over half a mil, even in this shitty housing market, in my neck of the woods.
          Same here, easily. Probably more.

Comment

In my neighborhood that would easily be a million dollar house/land too! If you think you'll be in it that long I agree that its not as important to have a big downpayment. You'll be able to sink into it easily once higher interest things get paid off.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
              Same with Suntrust
              Pretty sure all are - or almost all.

Comment

Alright, not to burst anyone's bubble (because we want you to move here!), but that is in a very...rural area A very nice area, but not really part of the DFW metroplex.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yeah, I claim to be from "around Dallas", but it's a little over an hour away from the actual city.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Although, honestly you can get a whole lot in Allen and parts of McKinney for $300k, so maybe it isn't too much off the mark!

That house would be $700k+ in my city too, though
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It might be about $4-500k in Allen or McKinney.
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                      X