Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Insurance Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Help

I know we have several people on this board that are versed in insurance claims, I need your help!

R had his tooth extracted in May. We chose to have it extracted at an outpatient surgical center rather then having it done in office with laughing gas. We received a letter from our health insurance stating, that the anesthesia would be covered, the operating room charge the day of procedure, general pharmacy charges including IV solutions, anesthesiologist and anesthetist fees.

The surgeons fee was covered by our dental insurance, we only paid him $60.

So the anesthesia charge was adjusted to our member rate - no problem, I get that. We haven't met our deductible so we have to pay the full member adjusted rate.

They have denied the charges from the surgical center saying, "Charges for dental related services are excluded from coverage under your plan. U96" yet my coverage documents state "Oral and Maxillofacial Treatment (Mouth, Jaws and Teeth): Payable in accordance with the type of expense incurred and the place where service is provided." No where do my plan documents say that dental related services are excluded.

The other issue is we are $645 short of meeting our deductible yet I made a $1500 deposit to the surgical center the day of the surgery which should have been our contribution when the insurance approved it, which they now are denying. So how do I get that $1500 applied to my deductible so that I don't have to pay as much for the anesthesia?

I don't even know where to start, I can now see why people get so frustrated with big piles of medical bills...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I would start by calling your insurance company and asking for a clear explanation. Sometimes letters are sent as a starting point, as an insurance company's job is to deny claims.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

The other question is if you had an oral surgeon vs dentist do the extraction. Talk to both the docs billing peeps as well as the surgery center's. .
      Kris

Comment

He's a DDS not an MD...his fee was paid by the dental insurance...

Comment

But, he may not be contracted with the med insurance and that could be causing the problem. I'd try getting the ASC's billing staff to help sort it out.
          Kris

Comment

The ASC?

Comment

Ambulatory surgery center.
              Kris

Comment

Thanks Kris!

Comment

My guess is that the problem is because a DDS did the extraction not an MD.
                  Kris

Comment

How long does it usually take to get a bill? The claim was denied to the surgicenter over six weeks ago and they still haven't sent us a bill?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                      How long does it usually take to get a bill? The claim was denied to the surgicenter over six weeks ago and they still haven't sent us a bill?
                      If the surgicenter is fighting the denial, then it can take a while.
                      Kris

Comment

I got a bill from Cleveland Clinic nine months after my date of service.
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Oh good - let them fight it

Of course the $1500 I've already paid hangs in the balance and doesn't show up on my deductible which means I'm having to pay for other crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                            I got a bill from Cleveland Clinic nine months after my date of service.
                            This. It can take forever...
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                            X