Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another Insurance Question for the BrainTrust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Insurance Question for the BrainTrust

So I started a new job, which I FLOVE btw, but the only down fall is that my insurance doesn't kick in for 90 days. In the meantime July 1 starts his school insurance term. So unless I (future us) wants to shell out 4K I have to figure out some type of coverage in the meantime. I looked into high deductible like 2500ish but have no idea where to start... what do you all think? HELP lol
    sigpic
    buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

I am not an expert, but it's my understanding that you can get retroactive COBRA coverage for something like 3 months, and if you don't have a break of more than a couple of months in your coverage, it's considered continuous. So basically, instead of major medical or COBRA premiums for these couple of months, just let it be. If something happens and you need to make an insurance claim to help you pay for a medical situation...apply for COBRA then, pay for the two months of premiums and you're golden.

(This is assuming you had insurance at your last job?)
    Alison

Comment

Under HIPAA, a break shorter than 62 days is considered continuous, and yes, you can elect COBRA retroactively if needed.

Otherwise, try einsurance.com to find a policy for your area.
      Kris

Comment

Kris, I think we should have an "ask Kris" column. Please don't quit your day job...ever.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I don't think I'll be eligible for cobra because I just had spousal coverage from DHs school.. With the esurance they aren't hsa eligible does that mean they are not a high deductible? And I vote all in for the ask kris thread!!
          sigpic
          buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

I'd sign up under his, and then when yours kicks in, change his to just him. It's a valid life event change (you became eligible for your own insurance), so he SHOULD be able to drop you from his coverage as of that point...unless somehow magically student insurance is special and different than normal employer-provided coverage? I'd ask.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
              Please don't quit your day job...ever.
              Bwahahaha!

Heidi says the same thing every day.
              Kris

Comment

For realz!
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Are you trying to get him covered under your work insurance too? Or just you? If it's just you, Kris is right on. If him too, he might need to let the school insurance kick in, and then when you have him covered under new insurance you bring the proof into the school and they *should* be able to reimburse you for the rest of the term.
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                    Are you trying to get him covered under your work insurance too? Or just you? If it's just you, Kris is right on. If him too, he might need to let the school insurance kick in, and then when you have him covered under new insurance you bring the proof into the school and they *should* be able to reimburse you for the rest of the term.
                    Or, let him ride on the school insurance until the term is up, THEN add him to your policy. As a change of life event (losing previous coverage) you should be able him to add to your policy even outside of the open enrollment period.
                    Kris

Comment

Working...
                    X