Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Car question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car question

Not trying to stir any pot by bringing up a car question!! But I do need some advice...

Dh and I do not know what to do about The Impending Move. The military will ship one of our cars for free. We are shipping our suburban-- the main family car.

Dh has been driving my dad's old Nissan this year-- we borrowed it when dhs other car (Camry) was in the shop for a while (after an accident) and we thought the insurance company was going to total it. After a month they decided not to total it, so we had 3 cars. We kept the Nissan, which dh drives, and "bought" it for $5, with the understanding that if we were stationed stateside we would buy it, and otherwise return it to him. My dad loves that old Nissan it's like a 1998 stick shift little car. It's amazing. We had to replace a broken axel and it only cost 1200$!!!!! Simple cars are the best. But I digress... Anyway, we will return that car to my dad this summer. So no need to ship it anywhere or sell it.

We kept the Camry as an extra car, for people to use when they visit, and for dd18 to drive if she ever gets licensed.

So my question is about the Camry-- it's a 2002, has 170,000 mi, the A/C doesn't work, but other than that it's a good car. It has some rust and some body damage from one of dhs crashes. (He opted to just knock the dent out himself vs pay $4500 for it to be fixed when the kbb was only $2500).

Should we pay to ship this car to hawaii? It will cost $800-1000 to do that. Or should we attempt to sell it and buy a used car in HI? Craigslist shows a lively market of selling used cars from all the military who are transferred and figure it's a better deal to sell the car vs ship it to the states.

I just don't know what to do...

Do NOT want another car loan right now, as we are just about to pay off the suburban and I'd like to build some cash equity in our "car fund" lol. But I don't want to waste $ shipping a car to HI that will just die as soon as we get there. It could last another 100,000 miles--- but ugh. Car work!!

WWYD?
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

20 years ago on the bases in Germany and Japan, there was always a small cache of cars that just kept getting resold from one exiting officer to the next. I don't know if Hawaii is different, but is there some sort of board that you could check this out?
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I don't think it's worth it to ship it. How much do you think you could sell it for? I bet you'd be able to find a decent used car out there for not too much $$. Plus, you'd probably be able to sell it again easily if/when you move away.
      Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

My good friend who moved on and off islands (Hawaii and Caribbean) sold and rebought cheap cars instead of shipping most of the time. I think she shipped her latest car on the company's dime.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Would you be using this car for visitors and your oldest kid over there, too?

Comment

We will go to 2 cars for a while until dh can save up for a truck. His dream car...
            Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
              We will go to 2 cars for a while until dh can save up for a truck. His dream car...
              Ah, gotcha. I say ship it over since it will help you save up to pay cash for the one he wants. Yes, it will take more maintenance, though.

Comment

Our Camry is a 1993 and purrs like a kitten. Admittedly, it only has 140k miles or something. DH was able to DIY the driver side window when it mysteriously failed, and also DIY'ed the retractable radio antenna, with parts from online and Youtube videos -- he's so not handy. But anyway, point is I wouldn't let age be the deciding factor. We opted to sell his old Camry wagon when we left Arizona. That one was 20 years old with a lot more miles, but still working well and we got a grand or two from it. We knew we'd have this younger sedan waiting for us as a hand-me-down from his parents when we got here, so financially it worked out not to have to ship. If I were you I'd figure out how much you can get for it, minus how much you'd need to pay for a new one (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/i/autos). Then get a firm quote for shipping. And go from there.
                Alison

Comment

Toyotas are great cars and usually go forever. If you think its got a lot more miles in it then you probably should do it - shipping a car from OR to KS when we moved 2 years ago was more then that.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Ship it. It's the devil you know so to speak. We shipped our '93 suburban to TN. It has 250k miles on it and yes it needs work from time to time but it's still cheaper then even buying a used car (that would also likely need work).
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Pollyanna-plus the fact that because you live in Tennesee, you can just put your car out in the front yard when it does eventually dies. No need to bother with selling it for parts It doubles as a lawn ornament . ROFL
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                        Pollyanna-plus the fact that because you live in Tennesee, you can just put your car out in the front yard when it does eventually dies. No need to bother with selling it for parts It doubles as a lawn ornament . ROFL
                        You know our plan!!!
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                          You know our plan!!!
                          You can always class it up by making it into a planter of some type.
                          Peggy

Comment

Working...
                          X