Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

physician contract issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• physician contract issues

I have seen quite a few physician contracts over the last 6 months for FT jobs and for locums. To be clear, I haven't practiced law in 6 years, this is outside of my scope of expertise, and there are some medico/legal things that truly are just out-of-my depth. (e.g. what an adequate RVU is for specific services). Quite frankly, at least three other attorneys on this site have practiced in areas that better sync up with issue AND they have better credentialing than me. Nonetheless, in the interest of physician families helping other physician families out, I'd like for us to create a thread about physician employment contract issues.

It might be useful to list some of the potential considerations when reviewing a contract for employment. Please add your own examples. NONE OF THIS IS MEANT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE!! Also, try as you might, you can not contract away all risk. It is impossible to draft agreements for every possible outcome. With that being said, let's create a list of potential employment contract pitfalls.

--Malpractice and Tail insurance. The need for occurrence tail insurance coverage can not be understated. Several members on this board have had to pay out tens of thousands of dollars personally in order to change jobs.

--Mutual indemnity clauses. I saw this in a potential locums contract last night. For an explanation why this should be a nonstarter, read http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/770873

--Geographic Noncompetes. They are illegal in some states (CA and COcome to mind). To compensate for the hospital's "loss", I saw a contract which sought liquidated damages of $550k if the physician attempted to work within an hour radius of the contracting hospital. Good luck trying to find a practice to buy that out! On the other hand, a KS court recently upheld a fairly restrictive geographic noncompete covenant even though multiple courts elsewhere deemed them to be contrary to public policy and patient well being. Many states are middle ground. Think about whether you would like to personally pay for counsel to determine what your state's take on the issue of the enforceability of geographic noncompete restrictions.

--Getting paid by collections rather than RVUS. Truly, this is like gambling. Further, it creates animosity in a practice when the more tenured physicians claim the clinics in the more affluent suburbs while younger staff gets to man the clinics with low reimbursement rates.

--Having a carefully crafted "escape" plan in case the physician leaves before the contract expires. What obligations are due to whom?

Believe me, the hospital has a team of attorneys crafting these things. This is one instance where it really is in your best interest to retain counsel.

Keep the examples coming!
    Last edited by houseelf; 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I have a contract question that has come up recently. How common is it for there to be clauses in a contract that restrict where you can live? i.e. Requiring you to live in the same city where the hospital is, as opposed to a nearby suburb?

Comment

OG - I think it's specialty dependent, but most people we know who have restrictions like that have them stated a bit differently. It's typically more in the format of "if on call, the physician must respond by phone within x amount of time and be on premise within x amount of time." We've always been in the midwest, and the people whose contracts I've seen constructed in that manner are also in the midwest. I don't know if there are regional differences, but I imagine there could be.

I also think people forget that just because it's in a contract, doesn't mean the group/hospital/employer will follow what's written. While DH has always had Tail written into his contracts, we had to sue his last group to force them into providing it. While it didn't cost us the $60,000 of an insurance policy, our legal fees were in the thousands.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We are in KS and as said the non-competes have been held up - there are two big hospitals here. DH knows several physicians that have taken "administrative" roles for 6 months to a year until their non-compete expired and then they practiced again. DH would DIE! He and I both took his contract knowing that if he leaves his job we will move. However I'd be curious to know what the non-compete law is like in MO because while we live in KS his hospital is in MO. DH can buy out of his but its a year's salary - ha ha ha ha! We probably should have tried to negotiate that down.

OG - my husband's contract didn't have that stipulation in it but I know a cardio thoracic surgeon that interviewed in our metro that did have that in their contract it was also not a town but was a radius of the hospital for call purposes.

My add:
        - Call: how much are you expected to take and what happens if you take more? DH's contract very specifically states he's to take 1 in 5 and if he takes more he gets paid X for weekdays and X for Fri - Sun. We have a friend who was just offered a contract at the same hospital, different specialty, and it just said he was required to take call - no limits, mins, extra pay, etc. so they are currently negotiating that point.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

For those seeking academic positions, you must negotiate protected admin/academic/research time. Sounds like a no brainer but I see faculty all.the.time. carrying a full patient load/rvu expectations and spending half days at the sim center, putting together lectures, serving on gazillion committees and advising student specialty interest groups...oh, and doing some research too. If someone asks you to take on an additional role, say serve as curriculum committee chair, you must ask for protected time and compensation to your department/division.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

For EM, a minimum and maximum number of shifts required. For DH's first job, he was supposed to work 16-18 shifts/month, but we never specified an absolute maximum. There were months that he was given 3 days off.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Completely hypothetically, if you were looking at a contract that specified the time a physician has to be on premises when on call, would that typically be 1 hour? 30 minutes? Less? More?

Comment

That's tough - there are nights DH is on call that he isn't at the hospital AT ALL! But he was there during the day which is still his call. On the weekends that never happens, he has to round, etc. so we just don't see him.

Comment

Oh sorry, I didn't mean how long he has to be on site. I meant how long he has to get there. (I.e., if you live 30 minutes away, etc.)

Comment

Here the standard is 30 minutes, the CT surgeon I was talking about I think was told 20-30 minutes. If you are farther then that you have to take call in house. And we are in a spread out metro area, its very feasible that docs could live farther then that from the hospital.

Comment

Ob/Gyn is 15-20 min if taking call from home.
                      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                          I have a contract question that has come up recently. How common is it for there to be clauses in a contract that restrict where you can live? i.e. Requiring you to live in the same city where the hospital is, as opposed to a nearby suburb?
                          DH's call is home call. He is required to be there within 30 minutes when he's on call or backup call. It's easiest if they live in that radius, but one of the anesthesiologists lives farther away and just stays at the hospital.
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Remember that every specialty's contract issues are different. For example, my group wanted a non-compete (EM.) Which obviously makes zero sense since I don't have my own patients and if I went to a nearby hospital no patient is going to go there just to see me. When I really asked them, it turned out that all they cared about was that I didn't steal the contract at the hospital. So we amended the rather broad non-compete to say that and specifically exempted me from not being able to go to the next hospital down the street if I quit/was fired. Everyone got what they wanted.

Remember a contract is just taking your verbal agreement, and writing it down. There shouldn't be a huge deal with attorneys going back and forth. Have an attorney review the contract, but basically, you want it to say what you agreed on.

It's okay to have claims-made coverage instead of occurrence, but you need to understand who will pay the tail under what circumstances. I have occurrence now, but had claims made until recently. If I was fired, the group paid for the tail. If I quit, I paid for it. Hard to argue that wasn't fair. This is a big deal since a fully mature tail is usually 2-3 times an annual premium. In my case, it was over $50K.

I suggest reading a good book on contracts (EMRA puts one out for EM docs but there are plenty of ones for doctors in general) and maybe even one on negotiating. Could be worth hundreds of thousands over a career.

Remember you don't need a contract when things work out. The contract is for when things don't work out. And they're all negotiable.
                            Helping Docs (And Their Spouses) Get A "Fair Shake" On Wall Street at http://whitecoatinvestor.com since 2011.

Comment

also think people forget that just because it's in a contract, doesn't mean the group/hospital/employer will follow what's written.
                              This can not be stated enough. Honestly, getting an agreement on paper is the *simple* part. Getting everybody to do what they promised without lawyering up is a whole 'mother issue.

Someone talked about creating guaranteed call ratios. Honestly, the hospital can only provide coverage if they can find it. I'm looking at a renewal contract for a friend who at a hospital that has a demonstrated history of providing inadequate call coverage support. Call ratios can turn an otherwise good job into an awful job, so this is something to think long and hard about.
                              Last edited by houseelf; 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM.
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X