Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tax prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my husband wasn't on a W-2 we'd totally have ours done but I sat down last year with the questionnaire of the firm we thought we were hiring and it was word for word the Turbo Tax questions that I have done for years. As long as ours are simple I'll continue doing them. Hopefully I'll have them filed before we leave for vacation on the 23rd.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Any tips on finding a good accountant? I think we're officially in over ours heads this year and don't want to do it all on our own.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

We always just ask people we work with. DH used one all through residency. My mom was a CPA - so she always did mine. Even though we've been doing our own the past few years, we always get recs from friends at work.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
          Any tips on finding a good accountant? I think we're officially in over ours heads this year and don't want to do it all on our own.
          I got a recommendation through the medical spouses group at DH's hospital.

Comment

Our accountant was a patient of dh.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Word of mouth! Both you and your dh could ask around at work.
              We use the same accountant as my parents (and their friends).
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Ah the time of year again when I want to kill my husband.

In 2012 he played with eTrade and I spent way too much time hunting down the stupid info related to his playtime and dealing with it on taxes.

So last year after my tax time hissy fit he agreed to sell everything he had in there...which was 2013...so I STILL have to deal with it again this year. I spent the last 20 minutes hunting down his user ID to find out that F***** etrade doesn't release their tax docs til Feb. 18. I have everything ready and the time to do it today BEFORE the baby.

I'm so tempted to ignore it. It's a minimal amount. ARGH ARGH ARGH
                Last edited by SoonerTexan; 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm really glad we have an accountant this year. She sent back some preliminary paperwork and turns out the hospital has been over collecting Medicare tax to the tune of almost $1300. She put together a letter for us to submit to them as well. Other than than we should be getting a refund of about $1400. I would have never caught the over payment of Medicare tax.
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Just did ours... I did a prelim on turbo tax... We were going to owe 2800... Our accountant did them and apparently I missed some pretty huge deductions - we are getting back 2300. Thankfully that calmed my panic!
                    sigpic
                    buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

Taxes this year are so annoying. I already filed and got our refund. But we still have a jacked up erroneous W2 to deal with plus we just got a confusing 1099-MISC from the military who says dh was not their employee and therefore the reimbursement of the boards fee is counted as income. So I had to write an email on behalf of dh to ask the military what happened--- we have never been taxed on reimbursements before for when he's gone to conferences and what not. I think it's bc they didn't recognize he's active duty. The reimbursement came from a different office from his regular pay. Of course. Bc centralized pay would be too confusing. Sigh.
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSz View Post
                        Just did ours... I did a prelim on turbo tax... We were going to owe 2800... Our accountant did them and apparently I missed some pretty huge deductions - we are getting back 2300. Thankfully that calmed my panic!
                        What did you miss?
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Deducting mileage instead of car expenses from my 1099 income
                          sigpic
                          buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

We decided to try it on our own again - we're not super complicated, just a handful of W2s deductions slightly over the standardized this year, a house, and a baby. Hubby did it all with H&R Block online, and it said we were getting $4500 back federal and $1000 back state. That seems absurd, and I'm afraid he did something wrong. It could also be because I calculated the extra to come out of my paycheck based on our current income, which is double our income for the first half of the year. So, it is possible that we way overpaid, plus the extra deductions with buying the house and having a baby helped. I don't know, maybe we should get help... I hate taxes!
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Med school tuition always really seems to up our return. With that and a house purchase and a baby, it doesn't seem too much out of the realm of possibility.
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Our real estate agent gave us a referral to a good accountant. He isn't a CPA, but we don't really need a CPA at this point.
                                Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                                "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                                X