Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Why Aren't Doctors Rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Aren't Doctors Rich

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/persona...-doctors-rich/

I thought this was a great post by @The White Coat Investor

We certainly fall in the inadequate savings category especially now that we have chosen to pay for 2 children to go to college. We do invest quite a bit each month though for our retirement. That is our only saving grace. Our retirement account looks very good. Our general savings account just isn't adequate to cover some of our mini-catastrophes though. EX: We just had to replace our fridge 2 weeks ago because it broke. We bought a new fridge 4 years ago for $2k and this was a huge disappointment. We had the repair people out and they basically would have charged us a huge amount to fix the motor and our ice maker/water part would continue to be inoperable (it was not fixable). We've put so much money already into repairing this lemon of a fridge that we just bought a new one....the cheapest frigidaire we could get. We bought it scratch/dent. The only issue it had is that it was the floor model and didn't come in a box anymore. It only set us back $1100 but that was a big deal for us because we just made another payment to the kids' colleges. That's a choice we are firm about ... we will pay for their college. Because we've done a poor job of replenishing savings though, the little stuff makes us "poor".

I wish we'd saved more for kid's college stuff during residency/fellowship/early attending years.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

So, knowing that your savings isn't robust (if there is one thing that financial advice gurus agree on, it's that emergency savings comes first!) do you have a plan to remedy that?

Between my husband's forethought to put savings first in every phase of life (I think we bought our first car together out of his savings from his high school job), my luck to get a job that slashed his med school tuition costs, and my luck to stumble on WCI and the Bogleheads around the end of residency, we have avoided all the pitfalls listed in that article.

I love most of WCI's articles. I just got sucked in reading a bunch again.
    Alison

Comment

We do! We should have our savings back to an acceptable level by August. Then I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Yay! It also took us about six months of savings to get our emergency fund to the level of several months' bare bones expenses. But it is so worth it to have that buffer and not have to worry about what this month's paycheck can cover! Keep it up!
        Alison

Comment

Good article. I agreed with it. Lack of debt from school certainly helped us a bunch. Plus, when I made 18,500 a year at my first teaching job and he was in his last year of medical school, we were still saving... We had a 50 dollar savings bond automatically taken out of my check each month... We have always automatically had savings taken out of our paychecks. It is one of the best decisions we ever made. Every January, we reassess...

That said.. We have stopped all savings other than his contribution to his plan ( not 401K I can't remember the number/letter combo) It feels weird. We'll just save whatever else we make over that each quarter... We are still seeing if his working half time will be financially feasible.

Comment

most people i know don't save. it's a bad habit. whatever they earn, they spend. it's the american way.
            for those who save, most don't invest well (me included). a good chuck of my saving is earning 0.01% or less. one of my money market account earns 0% percent.
            it's hard to invest well--because it takes discipline and knowledge. i lost a potential 30% gain from 2013 because i was 100% in cash waiting for the market to crash again..

Comment

Hey Metro guy,

I hear you. I swear they make this stuff more difficult than it has to be so people feel like they have to invest through a professional. It is so important to understand where $ goes. Einstein said something to the effect that you need to explain things in the most simple terms possible, but no simpler. Very few people in finance do this. Nothing bugs me more than a professional using specialized jargon without ensuring comprehension. It is both arrogant and condescending. (Have I mentioned that I believe investment bankers deserve the same public censure that was heaped on used car salesmen, attorneys, and now physicians? Why are these people not feeling the heat?) but I digress....

Don't let the swing of the market get you down. It happens. Keep on keeping on.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
              X