Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Travel for interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding interview travel... DH is interviewing for a fellowship in a city I've never been to. He thinks this place could be ranked in his top 3. Should I make the trip? Money is tight, but my opinion counts when it comes to that rank order...

In regards to advanced notice of your move, I think it depends on the culture of your company. When we moved for residency, I told my boss sooner than I should have, but it was because I found out that I was being promoted to a different department and I really didn't think it would be fair for my new boss to train me and find out I was leaving the company in 3 months. In the end, I still got the promotion and it gave my new boss time to find the ideal replacement for me. Ideally, I would have waited a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsInTheMiddle View Post
      Regarding interview travel... DH is interviewing for a fellowship in a city I've never been to. He thinks this place could be ranked in his top 3. Should I make the trip? Money is tight, but my opinion counts when it comes to that rank order...

In regards to advanced notice of your move, I think it depends on the culture of your company. When we moved for residency, I told my boss sooner than I should have, but it was because I found out that I was being promoted to a different department and I really didn't think it would be fair for my new boss to train me and find out I was leaving the company in 3 months. In the end, I still got the promotion and it gave my new boss time to find the ideal replacement for me. Ideally, I would have waited a bit.

That makes sense work wise, thanks for your perspective!

For the new city, where is it?? Others here might be able to provide insight if you don't know anyone there/what's it's like! If it's top three and the other two you won't be travelling with him to, I'd say worth it for a ~$300 roundtrip ticket, especially if you won't know anyone there personally I it's important to be able to gauge your future happiness!

I'm hoping to go on at least a couple of the fellowship interview trips for that reason. I've also done a lot of googling as far as job availability, industries in those cities, whether it seems like a city with my interests (ease of biking, hiking, outdoor activities), affordability of housing, how far it is to move from where we are now, how far it is from family/friends, proximity to where we want to end up long term, weather, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Grace

Comment

I forget, what fellowship is he trying for? If money is super tight and it's only a one-year program, I wouldn't bother going for the interviews. But, if you can swing it, why not?
        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Travel for interviews

He's applying for pulm/critical care. It's 3 years plus another if he decides to become an interventionist.

My career has derailed in our current city, and I need a big city to get back into it. As you all already know, hospitals in big cities pay less and have a higher cost of living. If we stay here, we'll be more comfortable financially, but I'll miss my chance to back to my career.

I've never been to Texas, so I think it could be worth the trip.

Sometimes I think the road to becoming a doctor is just a test to see how well you can handle being in debt for years.

Comment

Working...
          X