Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car

DH's truck didn't start yesterday. When we got home in the evening I wasn't able to jump it because the snow drifts were too high. I couldn't get close enough. Since I'm on holiday he's using my car until the weekend.

He drives an '06 Nissan Frontier. It has <100k miles but things are starting to break. The AC cut out this summer and I guess the CD player doesn't work anymore. For whatever reason it also doesn't go faster than 60MPH. This issue is most likely the battery, so it won't be expensive but I feel like *it's beginning*. Old car expenses. Not there yet, but I see it coming. But at least for me the main issue is it's Front Wheel Drive. After it snowed 10" this weekend the roads were still unplowed when he left for work. He got stuck, I had to jump in the back for weight as it was spinning out. In previous years he's put giant wood blocks in the bed but now he says he just goes slow.

The stress of feeling like he's not safe compounded with the eerie old car failures makes me want to trade it in. We've discussed how the first big purchase we'll make after training will be getting him a new truck. He dreams of one of those monster gas guzzlers: 4 door, all wheel drive. But we don't finish training for another 2.5 years and I'm not so sure that will be the first thing on our list when he gets a signing bonus.

We don't have any consumer debt besides student loans, but we sure consumed those. Because we avoided the interview trail this year I have a small chunk of cash I expected to spend & didn't. That, plus the relative Blue Book value of the truck we could get him a used car with +/- 50k miles. I pulled up some websites last night and he was not having it. He's been dreaming of that 4 door truck for so long his immediate reaction is there's no way he'd drive a Ford Focus. He wants all wheel drive. He likes having a truck.

So what we wager is whether or not his truck will last I'll say 3-4 more years. Will it start having serious mechanical issues? And would be better to sell before we go down that road? I don't think any of this would affect me except no matter how bad my Honda Fit is in the snow it's still way safer than the idea of the back of his truck spinning out on the highway.

I spoke with another med spouse about it and her thought is car interest rates are way lower than student loans. Get what he wants now. I really, really, really do not think that will happen. I'm terrified of kicking the can. No more debt for me. Plus, as far as this goes both DH and I hate spending money. Which is part of my fear; we'll ignore the declining car which will end up costing more in the long run. Get out while we can?
    Last edited by MAPPLEBUM; 12-31-2015, 10:53 AM.

Man that's a tough, I don't have the answer, only can commiserate. We were at a similar crossroads with DH's car during residency. He drives a 2002 Honda Accord with $130K miles. We have been lucky in that we've only had to do basic maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, etc) to it all this time. We ultimately decided to roll the dice and hope that it survived until attendinghood. We too have no consumer debt and I REALLY want to keep it that way. Now 6 months post training, DH is still chugging along in his car and we decided to spend the signing bonus on buying a house. I'm hoping that the car will survive a little longer so we can save to buy a new one. Now the debate in my household has been truck vs. car. EVERYONE here in TX drives a truck, but we've never considered ourselves truck peeps. Lately though, we've run into a couple instances where we've needed a truck to haul things I've bought and find ourselves in a jam. This has made DH heavily reconsider his want for an electric car and think maybe a truck is more practical. I, on the other hand think these instances will be fewer and far between now that we've gotten pretty close to having our house set up and think an electric car makes more sense for our lifestyle. Sorry for the hijack.

I've heard you mention a couple times about likely moving south for The Job so it sounds like the snow situation is a temporary thing?
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I'm in a no car situation. My 2006 Ford Escape has been sitting in the driveway since June. It has more than 200,000 miles in it. It basically needs a whole new engine. When my car didn't go past 60miles it turns out it was the catalytic converter and it cost roughly about $600 to fix and was working great for 4 years after that until this past June.
      We only have the student loans and two credit cards to pay but with a baby on the way and his car being s little Acura 2 door, I don't think we can make it. Trying to figure out if to pay the 3G's it's going to cost to repair my car or use it as a down payment for a new car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

What a pain! Really, the cheapest car is the one you already have. I'm the type to drive them until they die. I wouldn't put lots and lots of money into a dying older car, but within reason it's the best option for the time being.

If it doesn't last until you can get the car you really want, consider buying a cheap stopgap. We bought a 2003 Forester with 135,000 miles for $5,000 cash 3 years ago, and it has only needed tires and a battery. Best tax refund ever. If it lasts for a few more years of light, in-town driving, we will be able to get the new one we really want. Just my two cents!
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

My only comment is to rethink the truck. Most of the vehicles I see stranded in ditches are big ole trucks. I would recommend a four wheel drive car or small suv unless he's hauling big equipment or he's a general contractor or such. I do agree with 4 wheel drive. That was one thing I would not give up when I went from my Subaru to my Mini last month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Oh hellllz no....lived in TX for now 30 years and have never had a truck nor do I ever say ya'll. There are Texans without trucks. Come to my side of the state and you may find more electric cars than trucks.

Was just in the same place 5 days ago. Been driving a 13 y/o car with a little over 100k miles. It was great in town but I did not feel safe driving it for long distances - safety wise and the fact that it is older and something may malfuntion. The last nail on my poor little car's coffin was when I switched jobs and now have to drive 60-120 miles away for work. DH did not feel comfortable with me driving that far so we would switch and his car was getting all the mileage. So, 5 days ago I bit the bullet and bought a new car. Car payments - ugh. However, the peace of mind is huge. We did the same when DH was a MS3. I did not feel like his car was as safe and he was starting rotations away from the main hospital. My main though is not so much comfort of new vehicles but all the safety features they now have.

Mine is a wagon so that I can carry my Home Depot/nursery loads. Still very practical but with great gas mi.
            Last edited by medpedspouse; 12-31-2015, 12:49 PM.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Nissan Frontier is called the Navarra here and its the biggest truck you can buy in the UK. I've fixed a lot of them. It's never easy or cheap. I'm a great believer in small cars with good winter tyres and renting some thing bigger when you need to shift something.

Small is cheap and winter tyres will out drive a four wheel drive on summer tyres.

https://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA

You are not what you drive!

Ditch the Navarra, buy focus and winter tyres.
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

How timely. We bought DH a new car 2 days ago...his 160k 2004 Honda Civic was actually still going strong but was totaled. We bought a 2014 Altima with 20k miles on it for $15k and he will drive it til it dies or we hand it over to a child.

Whatever you get, consider buying 1-2 years old instead of new. The car feels and looks new and still has a warranty...we actually could have gotten a 2015 with 10k miles for the same price but I wanted him to have a backup camera.

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We just got DH a new to him Jeep. His 173k miles was having transmission issues and needed front suspension replaced. It was paid off, but I didn't want to put 3k in to it just to put another 3 in a few months.

sigpic
                  buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

We plugged a lot of money into DH's dying SUV during the last 18 months of residency and I definitely regret it. It was money we didn't have. About 4 months before he finished it died so we got my sedan on finance and paid it off within the year.
                    He got his Toyota 4runner 5 years ago and loves it. It's big but has great visibility and drives very well in snow, which is a must for call nights. They last forever too. He would never go back to driving a sedan after two SUV's so I get that.
                    We got my newer sedan at CarMax for a great price. They'll accept anything for trade in and it was such an easy process. Definitely recommend it over a dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

CarMax only sells used cars right?

Comment

Apparently tis the season for new cars!

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Howfunitistobelovedbyyou View Post
                          CarMax only sells used cars right?

I think so. They had a lot of almost new and low mileage cars there though. I got mine the end of last year, a 2014 Kia Cadenza with only 5k miles on it.
                          I got 10k trade-in value for my 2010 Kia Forte that had a lot of scratches on it from when DH backed into a snow plow. It only had 35k miles on it though.
                          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I'm afraid to go in with my car at 200k miles, needs a new engine and they will laugh at me and tell me to just junk the car lol

Comment

Sell it yourself...if it runs you'll get something for it and trade ins usually screw you anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X