Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

It's XIRR time again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's XIRR time again!

I know that I'm the only nerd who does this, but it makes me happy to see the numbers all black and white. And just in case you want to be a nerd too, here's the instructions: http://whitecoatinvestor.com/how-to-...xirr-function/

For 2016 we made 9.48% on our retirement investments. For the last seven years we've averaged 7.37% annualized. That's above my projection of 5-6% (4-5% real return) so I'm happy! Hubby is super hopeful he can retire even earlier than our original estimates.

Also is anybody making any changes to their allocations or investment options in the new year? I'm simplifying a bit, and when I'm through with my current phase of reading material I feel like I'd better review the investment classics and see where I can tweak and improve.
    Alison

Lol I don't want to see those numbers right now.

But I am getting off my ass and currently looking for a fee-only financial advisor to take a look at "Us, Financially" now.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It doesn't matter what the balance is; if you're on track with your asset allocation, you should be on track with your growth.

But rock on, if an advisor is what your family feels comfortable with, then fee-only is the way to go.
      Alison

Comment

It doesn't matter what the balance is; if you're on track with your asset allocation, you should be on track with your growth.
        Haha, it's the lack of assets at this stage in life that I am referring to. I mean, I do have my 401k hanging out, so there is that.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

If you're gonna err, err on the side of not peeking. I completely ignored my 403(b) throughout the dot-com crash of 2000-2002, and even though it was invested in some ridiculous things, I was pleasantly surprised by the balance when I finally checked it around 2004.
          Alison

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up! I just nerded out, and added another sheet to my detailed budget spreadsheet, to track this.
            Luckily, we haven't done much adding or removing in the past 6 years (thanks, medical training!), so I went back to 21/31/2010 balances (as far back as I could go easily with online documents), then 12/31/2015 balances, so 2011-2015 is in one chunk, and then I tracked the additions and subtractions made in 2016. Overall, 12/31/2010-12/31/2016 is almost exactly 7%. 2016 was 7.44%
            The 2010-2015 part might actually be skewing a LITTLE high, because I vaguely recall a few thousand in a 401K through my job that got folded in, that I don't care enough to track down, but it shouldn't have been enough to make a huge difference, and the separate 2016 number is accurate.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Mmm, spreadsheet functions.

Next thing to do with the fun numbers is to find a relevant benchmark to compare your performance to. I usually simplify mine and say I'm aiming for a 70/30 mix. Vanguard Target Retirement 2030 has about that mix, and it made 7.85% this year. So I feel like I'm at least matching the market! (The last couple of years I felt like I lagged the market, sigh. I think I kept too much money in cash.)
              Alison

Comment

Yeah, most of ours is actually in vanguard's 2035 target fund (VTTHX)...but it was just moved there in October, from a less-great fund elsewhere. That fund claims its one-year adjusted return is 8.26%. So I guess 7.44 isn't too shabby?
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

What are these "investments" you speak of?!?

Just kidding. I mean I know WHAT they are literally. Just not what it's like to have them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

It's never too soon or too late to start saving for retirement. I know the end of residency is a crunch time, but it's also your last year at this tax bracket. Even if you could find a few hundred bucks to drop into a Roth, it would grow.

I know during medical school I couldn't afford to save much, but automatic deduction and employer match made it relatively painless. I worked for four years and put away about $6000 and my employer matched about $1800. That account is now worth almost $17k. We ate beans and rice and didn't have central heat or air conditioning, but we saved, LOL. DH also put about $500 a year into an IRA even though he had no income during med school. It's the habit as much as it is the amount.
                    Alison

Comment

We are trying to maximize this "last year at this tax bracket" thing for sure. We are contributing to 401ks and 403bs (me and him). This will also be our lowest income year since I'll be working PT/not at all the entire year (I worked FT until August in 2016 because of maternity leave) so I need to think about what deductions we can take that might not have been as available before (so many things start phasing out right around a resident's salary so we often could only take part of it because we also had my income). Any tips on that [MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION]? I know I can take out childcare and loan interest!
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

[MENTION=1315]TulipsAndSunscreen[/MENTION] It seems like this would be an especially good year to max out Roth IRAs for you and your DH, since it's your last chance at the lower tax bracket. (Unless you've already passed the income threshold, in which case you might want to start exploring your options for backdoor Roths.)

Comment

Nope, I don't know a ton about tax deductions, sorry!
                          Alison

Comment

I know what I'm doing after the kids go to bed! Thanks!
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                            X