Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Financial Advisor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Advisor

I decided to start looking into financial advising as the new year started and thought I would share my experience. I started on the White Coat Investor website and a few other places to figure out what I should be looking for. I also had an impromptu chat with someone from a running group that works in the group that supports Chase's financial advising arm and it all boiled down to a few things--fee only, CFP, and adheres to a fiduciary standard, not suitability. There seems to be more complication to it than that, but fee only and fiduciary seemed to pretty much go hand in hand. Let me tell you...it is not easy to find the fee only people. I was worried about being overwhelmed. In the end, there weren't a ton of options.

I was given a recommendation on another doc Facebook group for a firm out of Charlotte that caters to physicians. I ended up having conversations on the phone with them and another group local to us that also has a special program for in training physicians. I am very sure these are not the only two groups that do this--it appears we are becoming sort of a niche market because we come out of residency up to our eyeballs in debt, old for starting our first "real" job, suddenly holding a huge paycheck, and occasionally clueless These two groups provide low costs services for residents in training in an effort to get you on a good foundation before the paycheck comes in and of course keep you as a long term client. I did ask about post-training fees. Both places had fee structures that seemed reasonable and flexible. You can basically pay for them to do everything or do a checkup now and then if you want to do most of the management on your own.

The real value to me seems to be in the transition planning--we will see if this proves to be true, but I was impressed at what they said they could offer as you are reviewing contracts and starting a job. They don't legally review contracts themselves (both groups have lawyers they point you too), but (specifically the Charlotte group) have said they have seen enough of them to get an idea of what is standard, if the compensation is fair, etc. I think we are going to end up private practice vs academic, so I think there will be a lot of value in having an experienced eye on this as we try and figure out what compensation/partnerships actually translate to in practical terms.

I eventually want to do the majority of this myself, but I have maxed out my knowledge on student loan options, what best to do with my 401k, what do to with IRAs as we come out of training, etc. I plan to learn more about putting together a retirement plan, but I am definitely not comfortable doing the majority of that myself. When we leave training, I want some outside advice on whether or not to rent our current house and what the best plan for buying a bigger one might look like. We already have private life and disability insurance, but I know they review your entire financial picture, including insurance as well. Love my husband--he really has no bad financial habits--but he defers to me for the most part. It is a burden. I don't want to screw this up.

And then there is budgeting. I really don't think you need a financial advisor to put together a budget, but I have been struggling since losing my income. If anything, the shame of someone seeing me overspending might do it.

At any rate, after the phone conversations, both DH and I met virtually with one group and I met in person with the other option yesterday. I'm still trying to make a decision, but leaning towards the Charlotte group. I did like both. The spouse who originally recommended them had nothing but good things to say.

Just wanted to share my experience--I didn't realize that there were niche options catering to those in training out there. I think it is a good option for us at this point in our life. I'll keep you updated! Happy to share more via PM if anyone wants the specific names of the places I talked to. Both work with physicians all over the country. (I don't get any sort of referral bonus or anything from this, I promise)
    Last edited by SoonerTexan; 02-01-2017, 08:55 PM.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I found ours during our last year of residency; I think he's now a two-advisor shop, but when we signed on it was just him. He also specializes in physicians, and also works for a flat annual fee, and he's already WAY more than paid for himself by raising a flag about how DH's partnership was handling retirement; had he not, and had the IRS come knocking, we could have been looking at BIG penalties. He's somewhat local (an hour or two of driving away), but we've never met in person, just lots of phone and email conversations. For his fee, we get all the advice we ask for, and an annual checkup/level-set phone meeting, whether we ask for it or not. He gives us all the direction we need to manage everything ourselves (we could have him manage things, for some more money, but he recommended against that for our situation). Him being localish has helped some; he was able to point us at a good local mortgage broker, which ended up making our home purchase much smoother than it could have been. He also recommended an accountant for our taxes (she's not local, but has been good so far) and also knows all sorts of other professionals that know what they're doing/talking about. It helped to be able to write to a lawyer about the partnership retirement situation saying "X recommended that we get in touch with you to answer our question about Y"

Aside from those benefits his main value-add is being able to look at our situation and be able to tell us what our priorities are, financially. We gave him ALL our financial information, and told him when we'd like to be able to retire, and he told us how much we'd have to save each year, and exactly where we should be putting that money, and walked us through setting up HSA and SEP IRA and solo 401(k) accounts. He also either answers ANY financial question we have, or tells us who to ask, if he's not positive (he defers a lot of questions to our accountant; they work together with quite a few common clients). For now, at least, and probably for quite a while, it's definitely worth his fee to have him basically "on retainer".

As for looking over contracts, we went with Contact Diagnostics (they advertise on WCI); even if your advisor provides that service or has someone they recommend, they're a really straightforward flat-fee way to get a second set of eyes on it, too. Ours was pretty straightforward, and CD set our minds at ease that everything seemed on the up and up, and there weren't any gotchas in it.

PM me if you're interested in adding another advisor to your options (I also don't get any referral bonus that I'm aware of, just happy with him so far)!
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the Contract Diagnostics group. Your guys sounds intriguing too! I think I'm ok with the two options I have--it's just a matter of deciding between the two. I sort of wish we had done this a few years ago. We aren't in bad shape at all, but we would be in better shape.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

At the end of fellowship, we signed on with a group that specialized with physicians because there was so much going on: purchase of a house, tax advising, how to conquer debt, contract review, speciality specific disability insurance (i.e. hand injury for surgeons), etcetera. We were very happy with them, but they were EXPENSIVE. We used them for two years. Then I put my foot down and signed up with a fee only advisor who signs a fiduciary pledge. This is investing 101. I highly recommend that after an initial time frame, you should save money and switch. We use a FPL Capital out of Louisiana, who was featured on the White Coat Investor.

http://www.fplcapital.com 1-800-835-1969

Our advisor is Viji. He has a wicked fast response time. I'm fairly certain they offer a "beefed up" version of services for those transition years, and probably at a low cost to attract business.

For just the basics, you can't go wrong with Boggleheads and White Coat Investor.
        Last edited by houseelf; 02-02-2017, 02:38 PM.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We just use boggleheads... we have felt like everyone we have talked to is ultimately just trying to scam us out of cash. Every-single-one has tried to sell us whole life... without fail. Even after saying we don't want it up front. Every one of them. Every fund they want us to invest in seems aimed at making them money also. We just haven't had great luck. (But everyone of course comes highly recommended by the other doctors he works with).

But thankfully, boggelheads has really helped us (someone on here posted about it years ago - which is the only way I knew about it). DH has been told many times that he knows way more about what to do with money than any doctor they have ever worked with. It's a great site.

We did finally hire someone to do our taxes this year - it was getting more complicated, and was such a headache. Perhaps we'll get to that point with everything else at some point... but that seems far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We just use boggleheads... we have felt like everyone we have talked to is ultimately just trying to scam us out of cash. Every-single-one has tried to sell us whole life... without fail. Even after saying we don't want it up front. Every one of them. Every fund they want us to invest in seems aimed at making them money also. We just haven't had great luck. (But everyone of course comes highly recommended by the other doctors he works with).
            Ha, well after I wrote this post, I'm actually reconsidering the Charlotte group after reading about a few more things and asking a few more questions. I don't think they were quite what I thought they were. Not bad, but not quite what I was looking for. I'm leaning toward the other people now, but still looking into a few more. The true fee-only person I talked to in our area doesn't even hold a broker license.

I know everyone says to just do it yourself, but I really don't think I'm there right now. I'm willing to pay to have someone help me put together a plan. I feel like I can execute from that plan and learn more on my own later on--but the initial swirl of everything happening at once and figuring out what a realistic number for retirement really is? I'm not comfortable taking that on solo yet. Even if I read all the books.

Comment

http://www.fplcapital.com 1-800-835-1969

Our advisor is Viji. He has a wicked fast response time. I'm fairly certain they offer a "beefed up" version of services for those transition years, and probably at a low cost to attract business.

For just the basics, you can't go wrong with Boggleheads and White Coat Investor.
              I did see them on the list. Probably worth checking out--I didn't see any specific "in training" program so I skipped them initially. That list has been very helpful, as have the WCI forums.

Comment

Keep the experiences coming!

Comment

[MENTION=1049]poky[/MENTION] could you PM me the name of your guy. We are close to your location. I'm interested in finding someone to help us figure out how to proceed post training but I don't know if I can get DH on board. He would rather we do it ourselves. We've done ok so far but post training is like to know how to prioritize paying off our mortgage, saving for retirement and kids college.

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

PMd [MENTION=1521]civilspouse[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1889]SoonerTexan[/MENTION] with my info.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I know everyone says to just do it yourself, but I really don't think I'm there right now. I'm willing to pay to have someone help me put together a plan. I feel like I can execute from that plan and learn more on my own later on--but the initial swirl of everything happening at once and figuring out what a realistic number for retirement really is? I'm not comfortable taking that on solo yet. Even if I read all the books.
                      I *REALLY* wanted to go it alone but DH said NFW if only because of I would worry like crazy. I put my foot down and told him I would not pay for one more quarter of expenses at the chic-chic place. This was our compromise $1000/year fee only.

Also, I feel better because we have stuff sort of stashed in different places. This makes me feel better.

Comment

This is definitely something I debate looking into. Very interesting to read all your thoughts and experiences!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                        Grace

Comment

Following and love hearing about everyone's various experiences. Seems like this is the time of year I reassess our decision to go at it on our own. [MENTION=1889]SoonerTexan[/MENTION], I suspect I know who the Charlotte group is based on your description. We also had talked with them during residency.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We tried a highly recommended advisor for a year but honestly very few people can outperform the market average. I would recommend diversifying over several index funds in Vanguard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, we have stuff in different places. We use a hospital investment plan 403B and we never rolled over a TIAA-CREFF account in addition to the funds managed by the investment firm. Yes, someone is going to pipe in and say that a weighted mass of funds might outperform three separate pots and minimize overall expense, but it does guard a bit against the Bernie Madoffs of the world and diversifies risk. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                              X