Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Getting a job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a job.

I'm applying for medical transcription work today. Pretty lame, but I can do it from home. Hopefully this will help us on the money front a little bit and it doesn't cost too much more of my sanity.

Wish me luck!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Good luck! I think a few people here have done similar work.

Comment

How much computerese do you need for that?

Comment

I did it before when my son was a baby. You need a dictation machine, and you need to be able to type. Also, they prefer that you know medical terminology. I may have to do a training session. I don't think you need a lot of computer knowledge, but I know a fair amount, so I should be okay.

Comment

Doesn't sound lame to me. Good luck!
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Good luck Heidi!
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

NOT LAME AT ALL.
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Sounds like a good deal to me!

Jennifer
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

They (Transcript USA) might not being hiring for part-time postitions right now. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, if anyone knows of any other medical transciption firms that are taking applications/resumes, please let me know, and I will send them mine!

Thanks for all the wishes!

Comment

What kind of pay can you expect with that?
                    thanks!

Comment

I have had the job for a few months now. As far as pay, it is not good. In fact, it pretty much stinks. It is barely more than minimum wage, and in fact was minimum wage for the first two weeks during my training. I actually lost money ( quite a bit) the first few weeks because I had to do onsite training which means I had to pay for a babysitter, drive clear across town when gas was at its most expensive, and buy new clothes. The "mom look" didn't exactly cut it for office attire.

The only, only perk for this job is that I can do it at home. I can be with my daughter, and do this work while she is sleeping. There have also been some days where she has had to watch a little more t.v. than I would have liked.

If dh is able to moonlight a bit next year (which hopefully should happen), I will not be doing this job anymore. They are only allowed one moonlighting opportunity that is set up throught the VA, and they cannot do it until they are 3rd years.

As it is, this job brings in only a few extra hundred bucks a month. With it, I will not even be able to pay down our debt. The only thing it will hopefully do, is keep us from aquiring more debt.

Ugh, depressing. Thanks for asking though!

Comment

Working...
                      X