Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How do you do your grocery shopping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it help to tell it's pretty much the same meals every month? I decided that I do want to do "different" things, cause I feel like I am in a meal rut, and have resented turning on the stove lately which has also led to our increase of take-out/eating out.

Crystal
    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
      Thanks Marla....I don't make a 'formal' list either usually and I've been really humbled by all of these ultra-organized posts!

I need to get some of y'all to come out her and get me organized.

kris
      Kris,
      Mine is best case scenario and only really works because I love to cook. I've been going 2x a week lately. One trip for the basics and 3-4 meals and the other to get the rest of dinner for the week. The heat has rendered me unable to plan more than a few days in advance. And I spend way more than Jane!

Comment

The only reason I am this organized with the grocery shopping is I had a good friend take pity on me three years ago and literally "teach" me how to be organized with this. She sat me down and went through it step by step. I vacillated between feeling grateful for this help (and I truly am) and feeling like an idiot for asking for the help to begin with. She was very nice about it so I didn't feel too bad in the end....

Anyway, I somehow grew up never learning to be an organized grocery shopper (my parents are both the "last minute, we've completely run out of it and need it NOW" type shoppers so no surprise I guess).
        I shopped like my parents until only a few short years ago.

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Good point, Jennifer....my mom always planned out a list so I think I learned it from her!
          She's visiting so I'll have to thank her.

Comment

We once took some friends with us to Trader Joe's. They were dumbfounded as they watched us swoop through the store and grab "what looked good". They equated it to watching the show "Supermarket Sweep".

I just can't bring myself to be frugal with groceries. I'm trying to be more organized at least so I don't purchase the third jar of salsa when we've got two on the shelf already. But I really enjoy just going out and seeing what's good and basing a meal plan on that.

I just cut corners elsewhere to make up for it. I'm the opposite of Jenn: I *don't* drive my car in order to justify buying organic.
            Alison

Comment

I basically make a list, starting first with the staples that I pretty much buy every week (milk, juice, string cheese, bread, yogurt, cereal, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, bananas, apples) and then (if needed) raisins, peanut butter, jelly, lunchmeat, and cereal. Then I think in terms of meals for the week, assuming that we will go out twice. Sometimes I am really organized and make the actual menus, but more often I get by assuming that we will have chicken one night, some kind of red meat (usually ground sirloin) one night, pasta another night, and frozen pizza one night, and leftovers to fill in the blanks, so I have the basics. I *try* to maintain my pantry so that I have most incidentals on hand for recipes that I tend to make, but if there is something else that I need, like a spice or a fresh veggie to round out the meal, I will run and get it. I don't mind making the extra trips and don't tend to get distracted and buy other junk because I am always shopping with at least one kid and want to get in and out as soon as possible.

I don't mess with coupons, but I do check the price per unit stickers on the shelf, and I buy generic about 75% of the time. I am pretty brand loyal on some things, though, like Bounty and Charmin! Cereal is the thing I hate spending money on and I buy generic almost all the time for that. I do spring for the snack size bags of chips and cookies for the kids' lunches (when they are away from home) because I am less likely to get into them that way! We spend about $150 a week and our fridge is usually empty (meaning we have eaten everything) before we go back.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
              X