Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of the best money ever spent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of the best money ever spent...

Do you have a handfull of things you are overjoyed you bought or can't imagine your life without?

1. King size bed (The first item DH and I purchased as a couple and the best thing we ever bought. He sleeps diagonally and we are both above 5'9)

2. Vehicle with a DVD player- It has been a godsend for trips we take. I don't normally use it for city driving. I just took a 13 hour car ride solo with two kids and it saved my life.

3. Our patio table and chairs- We have spent many evenings out there with our kids and hang out drinking a beer while the kids play in our yard. I love it.

4. A bike trailer- We just bought this and I wish we would have bought a year earlier. I love bike riding and it is so easy to put the kids in the trailer and take off with or without DH.

What about you?

Jennifer
    Needs

Oh, I have a list that is very similar to yours. Must be a Jennifer thing.

1) King size bed. (and neither of us is over 5'9", however we have 3 cats and a 45 pound 'lap dog' who sleep with us)

2) the Chariot- running/walking/biking stroller

3) The Vita-Mix Super 5000. Thought the man was insane when he bought it- but I have to admit makes great baby food and smoothies and soups and pretty much anything else you want ground up

4) the Dyson vacuum cleaner. I'd make out with my vacuum if it were only human.

5) My whirlpool Neptune Dryer. I'm actually hoping that my washing machine dies so I can replace it.

Comment

1. My washer and dryer (Whirlpool HT Duet Washer and Dryer): We used some of our bonus money to purchase these puppies. Umm I actually kissed them the for the first time when I saw them installed in our house.

2. Peg Perego Tender Twin Stroller- found it hardly used at a twin sale, got it for cheap, and could not imagine life withtout it over the last couple of years. I probably will use it after the baby is born.

Other than that, I am sure now that we are in a better position financially, my list will grow, especially now that we are searching and waiting to buy a mini-van.

Crystal
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Mine would be...

1. My car, I grew up driving very small cars. VW Rabbits and Honda Civics. I'd always wanted an SUV, so when we moved to MN I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe and I love it. Tons of space, it's great for the dog, it will be great for kids and it can haul just about anything that we would need. Plus the warranties they come with are fabulous!

2. Our wireless network. My DH and I both have laptops and use our wireless internet ALL the time.

3. For my DH, it would be his iPod. He takes it EVERYWHERE with him. He just bought the FM transmitter so now he takes it to the OR, in his car, and everywhere else you can imagine.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

More Jenn similarities:

1. The king sized bed (and DH's uncle works for Stearns & Foster, so we got it for twin bed price).

2. A/C in the old house. DH agreed to have it installed when I was pregnant w/DS#2. He was afraid to be with me pregnant in a house w/no AC over the summer.

3. Cable internet - who can stand dial-up?

4. The extended warranty on my VW Passat wagon. I love my car, but the electrical is an issue for VW - having it covered has been a godsend.

Comment

Things I could not live without (all baby stuff since that seems like all I have been buying over the last several months!):

1. Fisher Price Papasan Swing - The best money I have ever spent....my son LOVES his swing. He's napping in it right now. He loves watching the birds and butterflies circle around over his head. I dread the day he outgrows his swing!

2. Zooper Boogie - Worth every penny! A jogging stoller that converts into a pram so that it can carry a newborn. There aren't many other jogging strollers that can accommodate babies <6 months so I was excited to find this stroller. We use it every single day!

3. SwaddleMe blanket - swaddling blanket that secures with velcro. My son would only sleep at night if he was swaddled, but he would break out of all other blankets. We wrapped him up like a mummy in this blanket before putting him to bed each night and he would fall asleep immediately!

4. Dr. Brown's bottles - DS gets less air bubbles (actually none at all!) when DH feeds him with these bottles than when I breastfeed him....weird!

And one non-baby item....
            Hoover Floormate. I bought this a year ago after someone here recommended it. I couldn't imagine cleaning our wood floors with anything else!

Comment

1. Along with many others, I LOVE my king size bed with the super-deluxe mattress we have. Before, during, and after our move, we were on an air mattress for about three weeks total. When the movers finally delivered our bed and put it together......well, that first night back in our bed was sheer ecstasy and DH didn't even touch me!

2. I love, love, love my Suburban, even with gas the price it is right now. I can't imagine travelling without it, and it was invaluable a few months ago when we moved.

3. Cable internet is awesome.

4. The playset we just got the boys is worth its weight in gold.

5. Our experience with private school so far has made it well worth the money.....I am hoping it will be the same at our new school this year.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

1. We took a couples only vacation to Mexico a few years ago and we still talk about it. Totally frivolous? Yes, but completely worth it.

2. Love, love, love my king size bed.

3. A deep freezer for the garage.

4. Brio water canal system. My son plays with this for hours.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

ooooh, i would love to have a deep freezer in the garage so that i could buy up the whole freezer section at costco!!

Comment

We only have a queen size bed--are we missing out?
                    I couldn't live without my cable modem. I will never go back to dial-up.
                    I have a coffe pot that produces a whole pot of coffee in less than 3 minutes, I can't imagine waiting any longer than that.
                    I'm sure there are more but I can't think what they are right now.
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

We only have a double! :--- Someday, in that attending fantasy land....there is a queen size bed.....

Comment

Things that have made my life sweeter (in other words: YES, you CAN buy your sanity!!!):

1) King size bed (yes, Sue, you and Nellie are totally missing out) My husband is 6'2" and something like 220 lbs - big guy. I don't think we could sleep in anything smaller!

2) Cleaning service. I did decide to end our run with it, but then changed my mind. It's just too good.

3) Power sliding door on my minivan.

4) My huge, comfy rocker/recliner. I fall asleep in this thing!

5) Printer/Copier/Fax This cannot be beat for homeschooling - I can just make whatever copies I need here at home. So nice, so easy. Kinko's has lost my business!

6) The Fisher Price Imagenext castle playsets. We have every stinkin' one of them and it amounts to something like six castles and about a hundred little guys plus dragons, bats, spiders, snakes, horses, centaurs, etc. We got these two years ago as a group gift for all the kids for Christmas. ALL of them play with that same toy set just about every day since! No joke! They can be completely absorbed in these toys for a few hours on end. The best toy buy I ever made.

7) My fake-Pottery Barn dining room chairs we got from Linens and Things this winter. I know, this sounds weird, but let me explain: We got a fabulous deal on two PB tables two years ago. One of them - this beautiful mahogany pedestal table (it's huge) has sat in our dining room for a year and a half without a way to sit at it. We just couldn't afford the chairs! We got the table because it was $150 for a $1200 table! Who could pass that up? So, for my birthday this year in January, my husband ran out to three different Linens and Things and got me eight of these black chairs that look identical to the PB ones I wanted. I love that man. And, I love sitting at my beautiful table now!

8) George Foreman Grill - Extra Large Size. Don't laugh!!!

Now, here's my wishlist:

- Deep Freeze

- Big Patio Table and Chairs (w/ Umbrella preferably)

- Extra-Large SUV with built-in DVD/Video Game hookups

Jennifer
                        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                          We only have a double! :---
                          Good, I was beginning to think we were the only ones! And we're 5'10" and 6'2". It can be done . . . sort of. It's not so bad in the winter, but in the summer I'm prone to shouting "Get back on your own side!"

My poor husband.
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We have a double, here, too! We had a king before when we still had nursing babies and small children crawling in from time to time. Now, the king seems too big for just the two of us.

My list:

Wireless cable internet.

Dishwasher. (My husband and I actually sat and watched it work after we bought our first one a few years ago.)

Weeknight trip to Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park during the winter.

My old yoga class.
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
                              Dishwasher. (My husband and I actually sat and watched it work after we bought our first one a few years ago.)
                              I would not have understood the significance of this before I moved to Boston (it is a rarety in these old places). I *almost* listed it but didn't thinking everyone might find it over the top. But, you are sooooo right: add the dishwasher to my list. I am so greatful to be in an apartment with one!

As far as the king-size bed: I don't like to be touching anyone when I'm asleep. I know, it's a quirk I have. I like to have my own "side" in my bed. Well, that and we inevitably get a child in our bed at some point at night (and, said child gets to sleep on DAD'S side of the bed thank you very much!). There must be some disturbing psychology behind this preference of mine....

Jennifer
                              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                              With fingernails that shine like justice
                              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                              X