Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gas Prices and Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Prices and Cars

Well, you all know that I'm pretty much a crunchy tree hugger, anyway. But this last gas crisis has just about done me in. I just paid our Exxon/Mobil bill and it was nuts this month- and it didn't include the gas we bought with cash!

So, we're getting rid of both cars and buying an Accord Hybrid. I'm so proud of us that I can't stand it. The first to go will be the highly expensive BMW that gets about 21 mpg on a good day, then the MINI which does about what the Hybrid does, but doesn't have the interior room.

We certainly don't need two cars at the moment, either. and once we know where we're going with the Army, then decisions can be made regarding when and if we get a second car.

If any of you have spouses who want that fancy Dawkter Car, just pm me. We'll offer an iMSN discount. and if any of you are empty nesters waiting for that fun zippy go car, Nigel can be yours for a song.

Jenn

What kind of song are we talking Jenn? DH has long lusted for a mini. He's still driving the 93 Toyota Camry with 150 K on it. (sexy, huh?)
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Oh....DH would love to get his hands on a Bimmer. But....NO! :nono:

Comment

Good for you, Jenn! DH would love a Mercedes/BMW but he is tied to a Jetta at the moment. Angie- gotta love the Camry! We drove an 89 Camry through fellowship and knew it wouldn't have made the drive from Ohio to Indiana so we donated it.

Jennifer
        Needs

Comment

Three years ago when DH finally could bring himself to sell his old Mercedes convertable we got a Honda Civic. Got the warrently that lasts 10 years so it will be under warrenty until we are out and at least to PG3.

Comment

We have two hondas!! A 1995 and 1997 Civic. They are great on gas.
            Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'll sing for Nigel!! My 1991 Civic's AC died...and yes I live in sweltering heat.....I guess sometimes it's a good thing that I work so much I rarely see the sun....
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Nigel can be had for 16000.00 He has 16000 miles on him as well. He has had all of his check-ups and is in very good health. He is yellow with white bonnet stripes. I didn't get the sunroof because we lived in San Antonio at the time and the LAST thing you want in SA is more sun. He is driven exactly once a week to my mother's house. (150 miles roundtrip)

He comes with floor mats, a cd/radio, airbags, and the "S" package. We didn't get the park distance control, either because if you can't parallel park a MINI, you shouldn't be driving.

Jenn

Comment

So, people name their minis too?
                  I thought it was a Beetle thing.

Comment

That's awesome that you guys are getting a hybrid! I looked into getting one but couldn't find one to meet our needs, but I did downsize to a smaller car with better gas mileage so I'm sleeping a little better at night.
                    I think they were messing with us by raising the gas prices over $3...they hike the prices way up and then bring them back down so we suddenly think $2.37 is a reasonable price to pay for gas.
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I was thrilled today to pay $2.46 and fill up for ONLY $36. You're right, Sue - it was a mind thing.

Comment

It's $2.99 9/10 here, and I looked at that and thought "Yay, it did go back under $3, so those dire predictions were wrong." And then I thought how crazy that is.
                        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

They're claiming on the news that prices in DC are below 3 bucks but I haven't seen it yet.

and I actually almost feel sorry for United Airlines, we used my mileage to get us to LA next week, and the total for the three of us was $15. Of course, I spent THOUSANDS with them when I was traveling weekly plus two trips to Russia...

Jenn

Comment

Isn't there a new hybrid SUV? I think I read somewhere that there was one, but that the hybrid technology was used to increase performance instead of gas economy. What is the point in that? Obviously planned pre-3.00 gas. If there was a hybrid minivan or SUV that would seat 6, I'd buy it. I think some are in the works. Maybe 2007?

We're below 3.00 here. (something like 2.70) I've made an effort to keep myself to one tank of gas every two weeks - three if I'm reaaaaally careful about mileage. So far so good. We get 26/27 MPG with both cars. I'd LOVE to see that go to 60 with a Prius. Heck, I'd even plug a car in at night if they still make those. DH would flip, though. He's a gearhead.
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

There's a Lexus Hybrid and Ford Explorer is supposedly coming out with one, too. Our salesguy at the Honda dealership said that NOONE was buying SUVs and that calls about the cars and hybrids were off the charts. Hopefully they'll still have some when we're ready to buy!

The Post did a quick blurb about how trade-in values of SUVs, especially the ginormous ones are dropping like rocks. 10% of the value of the Suburban in ONE week- gone

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X