Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What not to scrimp on.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to scrimp on.....

What is worth paying the extra money for in order to ensure quality?

In our house, this list includes lightbulbs, batteries, garbage bags, and Gap stain resistant pants for DH and DS.

What about in your household?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

My top few:

bread- yeah sure the .99 cent 'wheat bread' would save money, but I subscribe to the "if I can't pronounce it, (or I've never heard if it) it shouldn't be there" method of buying groceries.

dishwashing liquid and soap. Not that it has to be anti-oxident, smell good and keep your hands moisturized, BUT the super cheap stuff I'm not even sure contains soap.

paint- yeah, it sucks but having had to redo more rooms than I ever want to contimplate- pretty much we're at Benjamin Moore. (although Behr brand is pretty good, too) Not buying the cheapo stuff and have to do 5 times the amount of work!

sheets- yeah, so the 200 thread count sheets ARE cheap. and feel like sandpaper and wear out in about a day. I have learned that the higher the thread count, 1) the softer 2) the longer lasting the sheets are. My dream- someday to be able to afford 800 tc sheets. Wow.

Jenn

Comment

Latex foam pillows, king size- they were pricey but we will use them for years

Windows Media Center- came with tivo built in, with two monitors, DD sits next to me and watches Barney while i surf the net

A big T-bone every week or so- DH makes the best steak I have ever had and it is way worth it.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Toilet paper!!!

Comment

Dental care. I'd like my teeth to still be my own and pain-free for the next sixty years or so, so I'd rather shell out than go to a "Dr. Nick" (a la The Simpsons) of dentistry.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Hand Cream - without my Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Unscented, my hand are a bloody mess, literally.

Beverages - cheap OJ and beer are just not worth the containers they come in.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

Garbage bags - absolutely. The cheap ones are VILE.

Coffee - my friend who works at Starbucks got me hooked before I moved (she used to give me free drinks and give me her mark-outs), and now that I'm 3 states away I feel like I've been duped by a dealer. I cannot ... just can't go back to cheapo coffee.

Paint - Sherwin Williams all the way baby (it helps that I've got a friend there who shares her friends / family discount). The cheaper paint is more work, less durable, and not worth it.

Furniture - we've haven't done it yet, but I've learned my lesson with the cheap furniture. It's worth what you've paid.

Comment

Ditto to the paint -- Benjamin Moore, baby!

Similar to Kelly's pants picks -- kids pants that have the button adjustable waistband. Now that those have been out for a few years, they are showing up in consignment stores. Woohoo! Same for button-adjustable maternity pants.

Comment

I second the TP!

And my moisturizer and hand cream.
                  Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

We don't scrimp on TP either, nothing but the good stuff for us! I'm also in love with the Gap kids pants, when you have a skinny child, they are a godsend. As far as groceries go, I'm pretty much a "store-brand" gal, though my dh complained enough that I no longer buy the cheap hamburger helper and mac 'n cheese ("are we really that poor?"). We do tend to splurge on the kids' shoes and buy Stride Rite. Oh yeah, and I know this is TMI but once I went out on a limb and bought generic "feminine hygiene products".....let's just say I won't be doing that ever again! :!
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

TP and feminine products!!!!!
                      Luanne
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

diapers
                        baby wipes
                        toilet paper
                        paper towels
                        moisturizer
                        hair cuts and highlighting (for me)
                        bedding (sheets, pillows, blankets, etc.)
                        ice cream - don't ever, ever skimp on the ice cream

I have to agree with Julie and add dental care as well. There's nothing like a good set of pearly-white chompers! My dad is paying the cost of having shoddy dental care (well, none really) when he was younger. He's in his fifties and already needs dentures.

Jennifer
                        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
                          ice cream - don't ever, ever skimp on the ice cream
                          The calories are just not worth it unless it is the good stuff. I know, I know, shut up about Trader Joe's already but their Ginger Gelato. *sigh* I wish I had some RIGHT NOW!

I agree about the diapers and wipes, too. Tried the cheap diapers and there was hell to pay with the diaper rash.

Comment

Haircuts, for sure!
                            Hair Products- I grew up on Aveda and used to ask for the products for Christmas during the training years.
                            Scrapbooking materials-Although I look for bargains
                            Ground Beef
                            Beer-Once you are pregnant and wait more than a year for a cold one, there is no going back to cheap liquor.
                            A good workout facility
                            Needs

Comment

I totally agree, Jennifer. If I'm going to incur both the calories and the expense of a beer, it had better be a damn good one. My days of quarter draft night are LONG GONE.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X