Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Web sites and resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web sites and resources

What resources do you use to learn about money. Basically, my long term money management style for a long time has been avoidance , but I'm trying to change this.

I just read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Nice Girls Finish Rich and I browse http://www.fool.com.

Do you all have any other suggestions?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I put my head in the sand and don't answer the telephone.
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
      I put my head in the sand and don't answer the telephone.
      Luanne
      A woman after my own heart!

Hey...I failed my high school economics check book balancing assignment that was worth a HUGE chunk of our grade. Amazing that I could take calculus and not subtract balances from my checkbook!

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think that Suze Orman gives good advice but I can't stand the sight or sound of her, so that's a mixed bag. I like Motley Fool and get their emails and then browse the interesting articles. I get the Marketwatch email too (I think that is name of it), sometimes they have good personal finance info.
        Oh, smartmoney.com and kiplinger.com. I swear, I don't get a kickback from them (since I mention it all the time).

Comment

Jane Bryant Quinn (from Newsweek) has a big financial advice tome. I checked it out of the library to read. I find her advice and assessments pretty sound.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Oh, I forgot about her. I like her columns and didn't realize she has a book. Much, much better than Suze!

Comment

Michele Singletary has a great column, I think she's national now, called the Color of Money. She gives great advice- geared to women of color but certainly enough life lessons and experience that we can all take something away. She always talks about her grandmother and how her grandmother never borrowed a dime.

Jenn

PS- She in the Washington Post if she's not national yet.

Comment

I think I have heard her on NPRs Marketplace. The name sounds familiar. Do you know if she does a section on the show, Jenn?

Comment

My good friend writes for smartmoney.com, so I have to suggest them. Her name is Monica Rivituso if anyone wants to look her stuff up.

Personally I take Luanne's approach, although we've just started working with a financial adviser.

Comment

Amazing that I could take calculus and not subtract balances from my checkbook!
                    Two different types of math altogether!! Calculus is imaginitive...addition and subtracction are not!

I read Money magazine, and Forbes...they are very different but both have good information if you can get past the political stances on some of the articles.
                    I used to frequent fool.com and have a couple "portfolio's" that I created and have followed for a few years....of course, it is all in the world of motley fool and not in real life!
                    I have read a couple of investing books, and am into one now 'Intelligent Investor' by Benjamin Graham(truth-have been into it for a few months and not over page 100 yet...it's a bit dry, but good info even though it is the 1972 edition), but I am now reading more text books and doing homework.

I lLOVE the Wall Steet Journal, but haven't got the time to read it daily.

Comment

I get a "Better Investing" magazine (a benefit to our investment club belonging to the NAIC), and I promptly throw it in the recycle bin. My club is as clueless as I am--it's a crapshoot, but we actually have randomly picked some pretty profitable stocks. I have read a book by Suze Orman, and I think she is fantastic.
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                      X