Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

gym memberships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gym memberships?

Several of you have gym memberships? Ummm....how do you do this? The typical cost in this area seems to be $89 a month PLUS $2/child/per drop in PLUS a one time membership fee of 100-200 dollars.

Ain't no way we can do this. This makes running look super cheap. How do you all make this affordable?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

DH teaches spinning, and instructors get free membership for themselves and a HUGE discount for their spouse/dependent/what-have-you.

During second year he taught weekly. For third and the beginning of fourth he taught maybe once every three months as a sub to keep the benefit. He's going back on a weekly schedule now that all his real rotations are over.

But I don't think our gym costs that much! There's a startup fee around $150 I think, monthly is probably $50-75 I guess? But childcare is free, as are all classes, fitness assessment, fitness counseling, and nutrition counseling.

Is there something through the hospital? My gym has been affiliated with the university since it was bought out a year or two ago, and staff at the university and University Hospitals get a special rate.
    Alison

Comment

I just read an article saying that this is a slow time of year for gyms and a chance to get a better price but I don't know if it will make a huge difference.
      That sounds about average for a nicer gym and childcare. I think we paid $100/month for a couple in Denver (paid for with extra income of me working). I know that 24 Hour Fitness is a lot less, especially if you do a limited membership where you can only go on certain days (only Tu/Th or M/W/F or off-peak times). I never felt completely comfortable with their childcare, though.

Community Rec Centers are a good option around here. I think the childcare is around $2/hour and one visit is...$5, I think? You can also get a punchcard. It seems like that might be a better option for someone who needs indoor running in the winter.

I know a few women who do Curves and really like it. But, you are limited to the set routine they have laid out for you and there isn't childcare. A few of them have a VCR in a corner to plop your kids in front of (guessing it doesn't work so well with the toddler set).

Comment

I just joined the local YMCA. $100 start-up fee and $69/month after that for a family fee (including membership for me, my husband and ALL of our children). FREE child care for adults working out and in classes. I was a member of a local women's-only gym a couple of years ago and this Y has a larger range of equipment as well as MORE equipment than that high-priced gym AND an indoor pool (previous high-priced gym didn't have one). The women's gym charged something like $8 per child per hour for childcare (and, you had to call the day before to arrange it - no calling with the Y!). So, I would've been out about $32/hour (pre-Eleanor) just for childcare EVERTIME I worked out!!

The Y's family fee includes gym time for kids and various classes and reduced fees for swim lessons (and, big plus: my kids can take swim lessons in the dead of winter - yay!).

My advice? Try to find a local Y that is in good shape (impossible in Texas, but maybe possible in some of the larger metropolitan areas up north).

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Can your husband get you a discounted membership at the university (sorry if he's not affiliated with a university)? Since I work at a university, I get a gym membership to use its facilities for $10 / month. I don't know what it would cost to add a family member but perhaps you could explore that route if your husband is affiliated with a university. That said, my university's gym doesn't offer any childcare services (that I'm aware of) so that may be an extra impediment for you.

Comment

Forgot to add...our Denver gym gave us a 5% discount for University affiliation. It was the JCC (Jewish Community Center) -- many have rec facilities and you don't have to be Jewish to join. That or the YMCA might be worth checking.

Jenn/Rapunzel...WOW on the Y there in Boston. I checked here and it was a bust, pricewise. I think it was at least $100 per month for a couple or a little more and the childcare was a few bucks per hour. There must be great city by city variation, as you said. I used to work by the downtown Denver Y and I think it was around $40/month.

Comment

Kelly-

That's precisely why I agreed to start teaching Stroller Strides classes- because it was a way to get paid to work out!

Our rec programs through the city are incredibly inexpensive- we just signed up for a Water Babies type class that's 20 bucks for 8 weeks. I agree with Jenn about the Y's (and Jenn, the Y in San Antonio is GREAT!). I have belong to several through out the years and most have a transfer program which is helpful with as much moving as we all do.

As for 'regular' chain type gyms, I always like Golds and several here have childcare for a minimal fee.

Jenn

Comment

Also, you may want to seriously consider just buying a treadmill.

Check Craig's List, eBay and your local newspaper and then cross reference with Consumer Reports and you could end up getting a spanking new treadmill for nothing.

Sometimes, it's less money in the long run. We dumped our gym memberships and Rick bought an indoor attachment for the bikes. Next on our list (after we move) is an elliptical machine. We have a weight set from a friend of mine who finally got her husband to admit that it was nothing more than a fabulous drying rack.

Jenn

Comment

I really want to buy an elliptical.

And, I didn't know about San Antonio! I guess I was extrapolating what I knew about the DFW area onto the whole of the state. Woops! It's a pleasant mistake, though, if we end up in SA sometime.
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

A few years ago I paid for the membership to the Y for two years. Then realized that I only went a few times a year and that money is better spent on new shoes. Then I bought an elliptical (on eBay), which has been collecting dust in my living room (now it's more like rust on the balcony) ever since. If anyone lives in the area (or will be passing by), please take it off my hands, so I don't have to look at it while sitting on the couch and eating Haagen-daz.

Comment

Go YMCA!

We're also YMCA members. It seems steep $$ because of the joining fee and the monthly payment, but the free childcare and all of the other perks make it more than worthwhile. If used daily the childcare actually does make membership pay. The best thing about the YMCA is that they also offer financial assistance. It is our one luxury that I refuse to give up. I know they strive to make sure everyone who wants to participate can do so. I don't know if you have a local Y, but definitely check into it.

Comment

Sometimes insurance companies, at least in the real world, will pay for the membership or part of it. Ours did before we entered the land of paying for health insurance using student loans.

I love elliptical machines and I do yoga, exercise ball and pilates with tapes. Okay, I own a yoga mat, the balance ball and the tapes.

We used to have a Nordiktrac ski machine and used it til it was worn out.

Comment

Sore point

Ooh. You just hit a sore spot with that one...

You are married to a medical student and paying for health insurance with student loans. How completely and phenomenally WRONG is this!?!!! I spent the last two years of med school outraged by this idea (because prior to it I had coverage for us both through my job and didn't know that the school didn't cover him). We all know the system is messed up, but this is SO hypocritical. Hah! Next time a school introduces a 'wellness' program how about suggesting starting with taking care of the health of our own.

Comment

back to the gym topic

Survey for people who use tapes: how much time do you spend doing the tapes? 30 min or more?

It does seem like a good alternative to gym membership. No travel time. Cheaper.

Comment

In Cleveland, I belonged to a gym affiliated with the university and hospital system. We were able to get a discount due to our jobs. We actually were able to pay for the whole year at once which was around $250 for both of us to the Pediatric Research Foundation (sort of like a donation) and then write it off on our taxes. It worked out well.

We have used a couple different gyms since living in Indiana. Now I belong to a chain called Lifetime Fitness. I pay $50/month with free child care. I also get my hair cut in the salon and get free child care. I was able to get a discount on the sign-up fee because of DH's job. The downside is that I have to drive 20 minutes each way. Our YMCA is very nice, but also a hike and it is super crowded. There are several gyms in area called Cardinal Fitness where you can pay $20/month and use any of the locations.

Jennifer
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X