Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

TurboTax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboTax

If you've used it, what do you think about it? Were you happy? Do you think it was flexible enough to deal w/all of the medical-related deductions / things??

I'm currently using the web version, and it seems very comprehensive, though it can't deal with some of the more complicated investment stuff I need to do. I think it could cover most work-related deductions.
    This is the first time I'm trying to do my taxes without a CPA.
    IRS audit here I come.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

We have used it....now that being said, we are in a different boat with military stuff and we can use it for free, but it seems to get the job done. We have gotten some money back and we haven't been audited yet..... knock-on-wood....
      Before the military stuff, we used it and got money back as well, but our little life wasn't quite as complex, small mortgage, small children, small deductions to just clear the standard and need to itemize. It is helpful as it walks you through step by step and explains things in layman terms.

If your life is more complex with other incomes/expenses then it may not be the thing for you. With two homes, you might want to talk with someone to see what else can get claimed/deducted to help out with the taxes....Kansas City is the world headquarters for H&R Block, you know!
      Hope this is helpful.

Comment

We have used it for the past several years (I say WE, I mean DH ) with no problems and no complaints about ease of use. However, like Matt said, we were in the military and things were pretty straightforward. DH has been making noises about this being the last year he does our taxes himself.....I will ask him if there is a reason, or if he is just sick of doing them.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

DH likes it! Our favorite feature is the little box in the corner that re-figures your return with each change you make. It's nice to know which things help us and which things hurt us.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Love it! Again, military family here-

BUT it knows all about the odd little deductions here and there (DC first time home buyers get a 5000k tax credit, the adoption tax credit, uniform deductions, etc.)

and it's simple to use.

Jenn

Comment

We used it for the first time this year. I'm the one who prepares the tax returns in our house and I wanted to see if I was missing anything. After using turbo tax, our refund only grew by $9 when compared to my pencil and calculator version. So, we spent $20 for turbo tax, only to get a $9 benefit. I was a little disappointed. However, it was easy to use and we did get to file electronically, which means we'll get our refund sooner.

Once Dh is in private practice our tax situation is going to get a lot more complicated, so we'll be hiring someone to do our taxes then.
              Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Use it, love it. Being self employeed I have to file Schedule C, and deduct just about everything, from percentage of housing to electric bills to pencils. I also have a FEIN in addition to our SS numbers, and have to deal with the IRS on that stuff. I have never had a problem, and I too like the box feature. Additional note, H & R Block online allows you to use Turbo Tax. You can elect to have them "certify" your tax return when you are done, ie they take the heat if/when the IRS knocks on your door. If you don't pay for the option (~$30, I think), you can just hit submit and it will still check for errors, etc before sending, and let you know what needs to be corrected.
                Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

We had used Turbotax for years when our tax returns were more straightforward and were pretty happy with it. Things were a little complicated last year with the new job and move so we used a CPA. I used Turbotax to get an estimate of what our taxes would be just to compare and our CPA was able to save us quite a bit of money. We're getting hit with the lovely AMT this year, so I figured I'd leave everything up to the CPA again because I don't want to deal with the headache. I just love tax season!

Comment

Prior to this year- used it, loved it. It's straight forward and easy to use. This year, however, we sought a CPA to do our taxes. Glad we did, because he has helped us plan for next year where we will most likely have to owe taxes. AMT here we come.... This will be the last year that we will get a big fat refund from Uncle Sam.

Crystal
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I've used it for 4 years now and love it. Last year I hired an accountant who specialized in dawker's taxes and deductions . I am glad I did because he was very informative during the process about deductions we never knew about. Info easily found out on http://www.mdtaxes.com
                      However, I did turbo tax at the same time he was doing our taxes and we came out with the same numbers. I basically paid him $300.00 to educate me a little more and confirm I was on the right track.
                      So I will be using turbo tax from now on until things get more complicated.

Comment

Working...
                      X