Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Should I take the job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I take the job?

I'd accept, but that is just me. I do have a track record of too readily accepting job offers.

If you are going to be working, that sounds like a good place to do it given that people have been there for a fair amount of time and are happy. Could you break the time off in to two trips to see your sister? Two long weekends -- maybe longer with a holiday? (Since you said fall, I thought Labor Day might be in there). Would they be willing to let you do a 4 day work week for an extra day off as well?

Comment

I could probably go for a few long weekends but it's like a 12 hr trip...no direct flights to Cali from here and we're on the East Coast.
      I just asked them for a few extra days off; if they agree I think I'll say yes.
      I've had a hard time finding a job down here! God I wish we didn't need the $!!

Comment

If they were will to negotiate on the salary, I think that asking for more vacation time is worth a try. Maybe you could get credit for the first quarter of this year or something.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Comment

I agree with Nellie. Everything is negotiable (except the IRS). Accept the job on the condition that you can take your already planned trip!
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I just remembered -- I had to ask for extra vacation time for a job. I ended up taking part of the time as unpaid leave. It was no problem (ha, except not getting paid for a week!).

Comment

Just wanted to let youk now what I decided - I said yes. I couldn't say no to the $ especially since I had no other prospects.
              On the same topic, my DH is so casual about all of my job issues...his answer to anything job-related for me is "do whatever you want." I guess that's a good thing but I wish he would actually give me some thoughtful advice!
              Are your spouses the same way?

Comment

Originally posted by leyla
                On the same topic, my DH is so casual about all of my job issues...his answer to anything job-related for me is "do whatever you want." I guess that's a good thing but I wish he would actually give me some thoughtful advice!
                Are your spouses the same way?
                Yeah, mine's not so good with the thoughtful career advice, either. I wouldn't say he's casual about it--he tries, but he only worked in corporate america for two years before going to grad school, and entry-level job issues just aren't the same as mid-career job issues. I've taken it as a lesson in "You can't expect your spouse to fulfill every single last one of your needs, you have to have other people in your life, too." I always ask my parents for career and job advice and insight, as they are both definite veterans of Workin' for Da Man.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Mine is the same way, especially with jobs because he doesn't understand what I do. I had a job offer to decide between in November and he actually told me to call his best friend about it b/c we're in the same industry and he figured he was a better sounding board.

Congrats on the new job, I hope you're happy with it!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yes, congratulations!
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri
                      Mine is the same way, especially with jobs because he doesn't understand what I do. I had a job offer to decide between in November and he actually told me to call his best friend about it b/c we're in the same industry and he figured he was a better sounding board.

Congrats on the new job, I hope you're happy with it!
                      Thanks! I hope I like it too. Although I wish I would figure out what I want to be when I "grow up." I always envy pple that know exactly the right career for them.

Yeah I think it's the same thing with my husband. He's never had a corporate job so he just doesn't get it. Thankfully I have a great network of family and friends that I can get advice from.

Comment

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either, I'm hoping being a mom fulfills some of what I feel is missing but that's not coming easy either so we'll see.

Do we have to grow up?
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri
                          I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either, I'm hoping being a mom fulfills some of what I feel is missing but that's not coming easy either so we'll see.

Do we have to grow up?
                          Exactly! In my better, calmer moments about this, I realize that I will probably try several different things rather than be in the same line of work. That has sort of happened already.

Congrats, Leyla!

Comment

Working...
                          X