Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kids and Residency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the OPing is way old, but this subject is always helpful when someone has a good tip that another other person hasn't thought of... here is my tip for the day!

Last weekend I had a talk with my neighbor that works as a L&D nurse at the same hospital as DH's residency. She gave me the heads up that as a hospital employee he can buy diapers very inexpensively directly thought the hospital's supply department. This may have saved me countless hours clipping coupons for the next couple years! I'll share more details once I know more.

Anyone else have this benefit? It might be worth asking about.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      Er, guys? If you're still responding to the OP? She posted this over three years ago and now has an eight month old.
      This and the "any hubbies of walkaways" in the Mr. MD forum ...

But I agree, this one at least pertains to one of our cyclical discussions, and is useful.

Abigail: the "lost track of time" thing makes my blood boil. At one point I recorded an "alarm" on dh's phone that said CALL YOUR WIFE. I never asked for a "Hey, whatcha doin'" call, only a "are you leaving or not" call ... but Mr. Loves ALL Fancy Techno Toys couldn't manage to set an alarm to remind him to check in.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
        Thread hijack:

Oh, I actually have little to complain about. I have a great job in terms of flexibility. I just have had a terrible couple of weeks and DH did something really lousy tonight.

I'd reminded him a jillion times that he HAD to be home at 5:40 tonight, so that I could make my dance class. He's on lab rotation, not hospital rotation, so he assured me he could do it. It's all I really ask for--one night a week, for him to watch the kids between 5:40 and 7:10, so I can go to class. He can go right back to the lab as soon as I get home!

But, at 5:50, when I called him, he told me he'd "just lost track of time," so I was way late to class. Grrr.

The self-absorption that is an inherent part of his Evil Lab Persona won't change when he becomes an attending. It will just get worse...he'll have his OWN lab! Maybe when he's an attending, we should forgo a nanny or a maid...he needs a personal assistant!

I really, really miss the hospital service. At least when he forgot about me then, it was because someone's life hung in the balance. Tonight, I got forgotten for...brain-injured mice. **sucks!!**
        Abigail - I would think that the pole dancing class would be a higher priority for him...
        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
          Abigail - I would think that the pole dancing class would be a higher priority for him...
          Is it really a pole dancing class!?!?! HAHAHA!!! Shame on him!!
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post

Heehee, you would think that but pcr machines, gel electrophoresis, and all sorts of lab fun can have a mind numbing effect on the brain. This is why I always say that med school/residency was much easier that grad school/post-doc.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

It's such a frequently asked question, though, that it's always a current issue. Maybe we need a FAQ sticky somewhere with links to allllll of the threads answering those questions.
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                Heehee, you would think that but pcr machines, gel electrophoresis, and all sorts of lab fun can have a mind numbing effect on the brain. This is why I always say that med school/residency was much easier that grad school/post-doc.
                He made it up to me today, without me even having to ask for a favor. I am not feeling well today and I really didn't want to take Marie to the pediatrician for the rest of her shots. He re-worked his schedule and took off and hour and took care of it for me. He felt really badly about last night, especially after I told me that I couldn't believe I was forgotten for vermin.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                  He made it up to me today, without me even having to ask for a favor. I am not feeling well today and I really didn't want to take Marie to the pediatrician for the rest of her shots. He re-worked his schedule and took off and hour and took care of it for me. He felt really badly about last night, especially after I told me that I couldn't believe I was forgotten for vermin.
                  That was really sweet! I hope you feel better.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

For sure a relevant topic, and there's great information being shared! Just that some of the posts sounded like they were being addressed to "someone", presumably the OP, and they kind of sounded like they were trying to discourage said person from increasing their family without thinking hard about the financial aspect? When, erm, that horse is long gone, methinks.
                    Alison

Comment

It's such a frequently asked question, though, that it's always a current issue. Maybe we need a FAQ sticky somewhere with links to allllll of the threads answering those questions.
                      Not gonna lie--I'm sure I'll be asking a question very similar to this in say, ohhh about 2-3 years when baby fever kicks in...
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Heh, I'll throw in my 2¢ on the chance that someone is curious...

I wanted to be a SAHM, but we wanted to balance that with trying to keep his debt low. Neither of us had any debt from undergrad. I worked during medical school so we didn't need to take out as many loans. When he started residency, he was making just a little less than I had been making while he was in school. We bought a house based only on his intern salary (without factoring in any raises or my salary). We have been living at an income level just over the amount that he made as an intern, and we have been putting a large amount of DH's paycheck into savings each month. I figured up how much we needed to save to make up for the difference between our expenses and DH's paycheck for the duration of residency, and when we had that amount saved up, we started TTC.

We'll finish residency with almost no money in savings, but we're hoping to stay in this area so we can stay in this house for a couple years after he's finished. If we have to move, we'll probably find a place to rent for awhile so we can save up enough for a nice down payment on another house.
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                        X