Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The money witch came, now I need a fairy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The money witch came, now I need a fairy.

So, my DH comes home last night and says, "I have good news and bad news." Uhh, "good news is that I had a great day at work." "Bad news is that your transmission is leaking." Shit. It is a sealed unit, and the fluid cannot be checked or refilled. Normally, my DH handles all things mechanical... but seriously, he has no time. Anyone want to venture as to how much the dealership wants to just fix the leak? ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS :thud: ... or I can gamble for 2 weeks, until DH is on vacation... if the transmission dies, it is FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS :thud: .

German cars rock, until they break...then they suck.
    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Ouch.

How do you feel about taking it somewhere other than the dealership? Like a German specialty shop sort of thing.

Comment

I *think* I am going to shuttle him around for the next few weeks. It won't be an easy fix, but... I think it is at least worth a try.

Thanks for the avis tip. One nice thing is if it blows up, (he drove it today...citing the "slow leak") our insurance would cover the rental and tow. However, the five g's would be out of our pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
        Ouch.

How do you feel about taking it somewhere other than the dealership? Like a German specialty shop sort of thing.
        We priced that too, we still have to have OEM parts, which are only avail thru the dealership. If DH decides to try and fix it, we can order some parts through Euro Parts Direct.

Anyone want to buy a 7 series? I'll make you a deal. :>

Comment

Ohhhhh, DH drools over those. But I've heard about the transmission stuff. Bummer! I hope it does ok for the next two weeks. Shorter distance, right? Warm and happy thoughts for the transmission.

Comment

can i just say, i know how you feel, and im so sorry. our car...just paid off 6 months ago..needs a new motor. not worth fixing and the dealership laughed at us when we asked for an estimate.

im really sorry.
            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Having paid for a blown transmission during residency , I'd strongly advise you to NOT RISK IT. I can't even relate how much it sucks to put out that kind of dough at that time of life. Ours ran closer to 6K once the whole deal was said and done. We should have sold the crappy car and bought a "new" crappy car. Of course, then we might have had the same problem all over again. That anxiety is on top of the nightmare of being broken down on the side of a highway with little kids and DH unreachable. No fun waiting for AAA and riding home in a taxi we had no money to pay. Needless to say, I am still scarred.

Definitely cart him around or rent something or stay home or pay the 1K....but don't blow your transmission.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Yes, I can get a loaner from the dealership. My warranty is up... I am not worried about the having something to drive while getting it fixed, I just don't want to PAY to get it fixed.

Oh, totally forgot, 2 DAYS before we moved I was at a lake about 1 hour from home with my sister and BIL on their boat. DH was a home, finishing loading... it was around 10 pm and I started to head home. My temp gauge went immediately to red. I pulled over, and my radiator had split. I had to have it towed ~75 miles. The kids and I didn't get home until 1am or so.... luckily the dealership had a radiator in stock, and DH installed it...the day before we moved cross country.

I used to have a 3 series, and I cannot think of any big issues that came up. BOO BMW.

Comment

Get it fixed. It's expensive, but you don't want to go into winter and iffy weather with car problems. As hard as it is to cough up that kind of money, it'll be worse when/if you get stranded and have to pay $5000 when it completely blows out.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We've always gone Honda or Toyota. We toyed around with some other models last time we purchase, but it is amazing how many seem to have problems with one system or another right after the warranty goes. I'm too cheap for that. I want a car that goes 200K before it starts acting up.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again. My uncle is the engineering editor of Road & Track magazine, and he swears by Toyotas. If you ask him about ANY other car, his first response is "Well, it's not a Toyota."

I drive a VW Passat, to which he said "VW has been working on it's electrical since 1964. Just make sure it's under warranty."

It was, and we did use it (A LOT) and now the warranty is gone. I'm terrified. We're just waiting until we're into a 'safer' period w/this pregnancy & then trading it in for a minivan. Gotta get one anyway. Can't fit 3 kids in the back of a wagon.

I hope your dh can find time to fix it Amber.

Comment

We had a VW Jetta Wagon awhile back, and yes, as soon as it came off of warranty...all hell broke loose.

We have had a couple of Toyotas in the past as well. However, I like the feel of German cars....I like the "thunkiness" of them. You know, when you shut the door and it goes ..."thunk".

Comment

They're sturdy. And they thunk, you're right. But they're not as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas.

Dh's parents have a Mercedes and a VW Passat - and I love the way they thunk. Unfortunately, German thunkiness comes with a hefty price to maintain though.
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

what's with it?? how do cars KNOW when the warranty expires (just like how does a baby know if you're standing or sitting)? We had an EXTENDED warranty -- to 80,000 miles!

everytime something went wrong with it, we'd say "What the Farvegnugen?" (I can't even spell the stupid commerical correctly).

Comment

I have a Honda Accord creeping up on 200K miles. Still going despite the creaky noises.

Comment

Working...
                              X