Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

St. Joseph statues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Joseph statues

Kris, will you bury one of these in Wisconsin for me?

An article re: burying St. Joseph statues since the St. Joseph topic has come up recently.

Praying for a sale: Home sellers bury St. Joseph statues
    Posted 9/18/2006 3:52 PM

By Melissa Trujillo, Associated Press
    BOSTON — Judy Moore knew she was going to have trouble selling the home with the really steep driveway. For help, she turned not to an advertiser or a fellow real estate agent, but to someone she hadn't used since the last slowdown in the housing market: St. Joseph.
    `
    She buried a figurine of the Roman Catholic saint upside down in the home's yard. And soon, sure enough, she had her sale.

"I've seen all different kinds of markets, and I do believe pulling from whatever powers I can to make it work," said Moore, an agent in the Boston suburb of Lexington. "Sometimes just baking bread doesn't do it anymore."

Now that the red-hot housing market of the past five years has begun to cool off, homeowners and real estate agents are doing whatever they can to clinch a sale, and that includes putting their faith in a small, plastic statue of a saint.

Sellers of religious merchandise say sales of St. Joseph statues have shot up over the past year all over the country.

Instructions that come with St. Joseph statues variously suggest burying him upside down or upright, in the front yard, backyard or near the "For Sale" sign, facing the home, the heavens or the street, and saying a prayer or making a simple request for a buyer.

You are also supposed to dig up the statue after a successful sale and leave it in the home, according to the Urban Legends Reference Pages (snopes.com).

Joseph, the carpenter husband of the Virgin Mary, is the patron saint of laborers and house hunters, among others.

"In times of crisis, people try anything," said Rev. Harvey Egan, a professor in Boston Colleges theology department. "Many people turn to God or they turn to the saints or they turn to religion in times of crisis. It shouldn't be like that, but that's the way it is."

Phil Cates, whose StJosephStatue.com of Modesto, Calif., offers 4- and 8-inch white statues, said he expects his business to grow 200% to 250% this year over 2005. Roman Inc. of Addison, Ill., which sells four styles to stores, has seen its sales increase 33% this year, CEO Dan Loughman said.

The Society for the Propagation of the Faith of Boston, which runs a small store downtown, reported no trouble getting rid of its monthly supply of 100 statues or more.

"It's going gangbusters now," Loughman said. "I think it's just tough times in the real estate market that's driving them mostly."

Demand isn't limited to Catholic homeowners or real estate agents.

"We look at St. Joseph as really a non-denominational saint," Cates said. "I think that what St. Joseph is about is about wakening the hopefulness in people. That hopefulness can lead to expectations, can instill confidence. We all know that confidence has led to miracles throughout the centuries."

John Stastny of Denton, Texas, said his Catholic faith — and faith in the St. Joseph ritual — helped him sell two homes in Colorado. He is now trying to sell his current home without a real estate agent and expects his old, white St. Joseph statue to come through again.

"I think it helps me build my confidence that I can do it, and I know I can," he said. "If you have faith in anything, you can accomplish quite a bit."

Homeowner Diana Grammont is not Catholic but decided to give St. Joseph a try after her friend sold a home within a week of following the ritual. Grammont and her husband buried a painted, china statue upside down in the front yard of their Lexington home, which has been on the market since the summer began.

"Who knows what will come of it? It's worth a try," she said. "We're just both kind of open to possibility."

We did get a contract shortly after burying him in the yard in DC (I bought the whole mojo kit, remember?) but he hasn't done diddly for us since...

Jenn

Comment

Maybe you have to bury another one?

Comment

I have to say, St. Joseph let me down in Cleveland. We buried him about a month before we left -- and we all know how that worked out.

I told everyone that it was asking a lot for him to work for me and all ... being the non-Catholic that I am, but I was assured he doesn't discriminate.

Comment

Will you meet me there and we can bury it together?

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

You shouldn't have mentioned the 46 degree temps.

Comment

I'm going to this website right now.

Just our luck to buy in a serious sellers' market and have to sell in a soft buyers' market.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
              X