Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Paycheck calculators

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paycheck calculators

IRS Withholding Calculator:
    http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html

Net Pay Calculator:
    http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpaycalc/ ... ulator.asp

How accurate are these for you?
    I found that these were a bit on the high estimates compared to our actual salaries. Of course, I think that this is calculated for Arizona and Minnesota is known for high state tax.

What is your experience with this?

Kelly

Not that I obsessively calculate what we'll be bringing home next year or anything. Really. I'm not obsessing.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly, you can change it to your state. I have found it to be quite accurate. Paycheck city, anyway.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

OMG, I'm such a dork. You click on the tab that says "State".

I didn't realize that there was an IQ test with it.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Sorry--I know this is old, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I tried to use these calculators to figure out what our after-tax monthly income will be but I'm still so freakin' lost. Can anyone recommend any websites that explain some of the withholding and allowance info?
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
            Sorry--I know this is old, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I tried to use these calculators to figure out what our after-tax monthly income will be but I'm still so freakin' lost. Can anyone recommend any websites that explain some of the withholding and allowance info?
            The way I figure our budget is that I multiply my yearly salary by .66 (taking out roughly a third for taxes) and then divide by 12 (for the 12 months in the year). That is how I estimate my monthly income/budget. Not sure if that helps or not? And it is on the conservative side, I think my income actually ends up being more than that.
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
              The way I figure our budget is that I multiply my yearly salary by .66 (taking out roughly a third for taxes) and then divide by 12 (for the 12 months in the year). That is how I estimate my monthly income/budget. Not sure if that helps or not? And it is on the conservative side, I think my income actually ends up being more than that.
              That is a handy trick! Thanks!
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Good to know. Makes me sad though
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

For what it's worth, I plugged my info into the second calculator and got a fairly accurate representation of what I get paid.

Something to consider: your taxes are going to be a little tricky next year, because your parents are probably claiming you as a deduction right now. I remember lots of back and forth with my father sorting out deductions that year.
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Also, Sooner - don't forget to account for your 401(k). I'm assuming since you'll be at a big company that you'll have the pre-tax option. So, take that out first (max is $16,500) and then go from there. Hope that doesn't sound condescending! I've just been using paycheck calculators a lot lately...
                    Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

I was going to throw in: take advantage of the other pre-tax perks. My company offers flexible spending for dependent care (not applicable if you have no dependents obviously), health care AND commuter costs. (Just remember, on those it is use-it-or-lose-it!) And ROTH(401K) is a good option to look into too if your company offers it.

I agree with NYH - don't breeze past the 401K stuff, many companies have a match that is essentially free money!!
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                        I agree with NYH - don't breeze past the 401K stuff, many companies have a match that is essentially free money!!
                        Absolutely. Always always always take advantate of matching funds to the fullest extent possible.
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                        X