Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Citi Bank Credit Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citi Bank Credit Card

Does anyone else use a credit card to get free stuff? This year alone we've gotten 2 free airline tickets for MIL and I just got 2 more tickets to Hawaii for a trip we're taking in January! :ra: That's almost $2500 and we haven't spent one penny! It's wonderful! Look into it if you haven't, because you really CAN get something for nothing. (as long as you pay off your balance every month.)
    Jodi

wait which card is this?!

Comment

and will it get DF and me two tickets to france for our honeymoon? haha

Comment

I have the Citi AAdvantage card and I have a ton of miles already. I haven't used them yet but I think they'll all get used when we travel to Ecuador for the wedding. I would highly recommend it.
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

I have a hatred for Citibank that borders on the insane. to the point where I pulled equity out of our house to send them the final kiss my ass check.

Jenn

PS- but the mileage cards do work, we had one with United that helped us accumulate a ton of miles.

Comment

Jenn, I'm not a fan of Citi either. They're the ONLY financial company I do business with that constantly calls to pester me with all sorts of offers. They're so annoying.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

We have a CapitalOne No Hassel card, which gets us cash- 2% on gas and groceries and 1% on everthing else. We use it for everything and pay it off each month, so it's a great deal for us.
              Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Jenn-

That sound like my my passionate hatred for Wells Fargo. I asked Citi Bank to stop calling us, and we haven't had much of a problem since then. But of course now I'm trying to log onto my account and having problems....

Jodi

Comment

We don't do this ... I've always heard that you actually spend more when you use plastic, so we're cash only for most things, groceries etc. But could someone help me with the math? Maybe I'm missing something ... if we put EVERYTHING on a card except rent it would be in the neighborhood of $18000 a year (we're on a pretty tight budget). So if we got 1% cash back that's only $180 ... maybe more like $250 if you get 2% for groceries. How long would it take to earn an airline ticket?

Comment

Most airlines give you one for one dollar for miles plus a bonus for signing up.

Jenn

Comment

So we would only earn one ticket every couple of years? Is that right?

Comment

Some online stores will give you more miles per dollar spent....some offer 3 miles per dollar, some 6.....it just depends. You can also earn miles when renting cars, staying in hotels, or dining out. We have the Citi AAdvantage card and have earned about 6 free flights in the last couple of years. We put everything on the card, though, and just pay it off each month.

One drawback is that mileage seats are limited so in order to use your miles, you have to book early.

Comment

I love the idea of bonus airline tickets (I'm craving a vacation like you would not believe), but am not a huge fan of Citibank. Has anyone had any luck with a United Mileage Plus card?

Comment

I've always heard that you actually spend more when you use plastic,
                            If you have cash to cover everything you charge, and pay off your balance in full every month, then you'll never pay more simply by using plastic. Also, in addition to the potential for earning rewards and miles, during the month before your charge bill comes, your money can be working in money market accounts.

Comment

I've got a United card. I was just on the website booking a flight today and they're giving 21,000 miles when you open a credit card account. The drawback is that it's got a $60 annual fee.
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X