Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Natasha Richardson...how awful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Natasha Richardson...how awful

This is so sad...I feel horrible for her kids and husband. DH and I are very serious about wearing our helmets when we hit the slopes and will require our son and future kids to do the same.
    Danielle
    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

So tragic – her poor family. I’ve never worn a helmet while skiing and DH only breaks his out for backcountry stuff. Guess we never got in the habit … helmets just weren’t used recreationally 20ish years ago when we started skiing. After this story, I think we'll probably change our ways.

Comment

Latest news says epidural hematoma.
        I haven't skied since I got married, but I'd never even consider using a helmet...35 years ago when I started skiing, there were also no helmets, and it would just feel weird.
        That said, it's unlikely I'll be skiing again...
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

I was amazed that when I said something to DH last night about helmets he got all pissy. I said you get mad at people on motorcycles that don't wear helmets yet you're willing to fling yourself down a mountain without a helmet? His response...snow is soft!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

THAT snow isn't soft!!

It's just so very sad. It makes me think of Neeson's character in Love Actually -- his wife died and he was left to raise her son (I know the boys are their sons).

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              I was amazed that when I said something to DH last night about helmets he got all pissy. I said you get mad at people on motorcycles that don't wear helmets yet you're willing to fling yourself down a mountain without a helmet? His response...snow is soft!
              Rocks and trees and ice are *not*, however. Sheesh.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

That is what I told him - I wasn't worried about the snow, it was the ground and rocks underneath it. I told him if he expects his kids to wear helmets, which they will, he will wear one too. He wasn't very happy but he'll get over it.

Comment

We ski on the east coast (icy snow) so helmets are a must esp. for beginners. DH has been skiing since childhood and insisted that I wear one and he does as well. I would say about half the people on the slopes wear them...but I hope that more people will after hearing about this tragedy. Falling isn't the only danger...getting rammed by another skier/boarder if you happen to fall and can't get up fast enough can be far worse.
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

According to the report I saw she signed a waiver turning away the medical attention that was called to the slope.

Comment

I also heard that she turned down treatment at the hospital initially, in addition to sending the first ambulance away. Did anyone notice the theme of ER was a subdural bleed that didn't show up on CT, and that none of the Emergency Physicians knew to do an LP to diagnose when CT showed nothing? Apparently, these people aren't listening (with their entire family in the car) to their EM RAPS.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                        Did anyone notice the theme of ER was a subdural bleed that didn't show up on CT, and that none of the Emergency Physicians knew to do an LP to diagnose when CT showed nothing? Apparently, these people aren't listening (with their entire family in the car) to their EM RAPS.
                        I have heard that episode too

It is so sad and shocking about her death. I never worried about wearing a helmet on the slopes because I never got good enough to go very fast. I will not make that mistake again.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                          Apparently, these people aren't listening (with their entire family in the car) to their EM RAPS.
                          Luckily DH only listens to this when he's driving alone, although Mel Herbert's voice does a good job of putting the kids (and me) asleep in the car!

I feel so, so sad for her family. Life can change in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                            According to the report I saw she signed a waiver turning away the medical attention that was called to the slope.
                            This makes you wonder if she blacked out or something. It's strange that they called an ambulance if it was a simple fall.

It is a lesson I guess, if you hit your head hard, get it checked out.

I saw Liam Neeson on the news, they were having a minute of silence for Natasha on Broadway. He looked dazed. I don't think it would have sunk in yet. To see such a big, strong man looking like he had the life sucked out of him.....it's devastating.
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                            X