Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Titanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic

Is anyone going to see it Wednesday night on the big screen? Cannot wait! I'm not a huge 3D fan, but I can't wait to see it on the big screen again. Probably one of my top five favorite movies. The costumes and hats are insane. One of my daydreams is that I combine my love sewing, textiles and history to design film costumes for period pieces.
    -Ladybug

I'm going~!! I can not wait! It is one of my all time favorite movies.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

best movie EVER! I can't wait! I hope I can enjoy it behind all of the tears
      -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

I am the only person on the planet who hated that movie! All I could think the whole time was, "Sink the ship, damn it, so we can all get out of this theater and away from the god-awful acting." And that annoying, ear-piercing song. Kathy Bates was the only redeeming thespian effort in the whole movie. Leonardo was uncompelling, as he looked like he was too young to shave, much less be someone's lover, and Kate Winslet must be mortified to watch herself then, especially in comparison to her acting in later movies.

Comment

Lol Abigail, you're not the only one. To be honest I never had any desire to see it. A documentary on the actual events of the Titanic yes, Hollywood's version, not so much.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I loved the movie and in fact just last month showed it to DD for the first time since she was doing a project on the Titanic and that period of time. Of course I creatively had her go get popcorn and drinks during certain scenes. We also watched the documentary versions as well.

Not sure I'm willing to fork over the money to go see it again on the big screen though. Especially since I typically don't enjoy 3D.
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Got a sitter!

I think all actors are probably a little mortified when they watch their fledgling attempts on the big screen. I know I'm thankful that I can't watch my 20 something self, but I'm sure a little humility in hollywood is healthy. I still love the story. It's not about the titanic, so you definitely wouldn't enjoy it if you're looking for facts to crosscheck. Stick with a documentary. It's a historical fiction and the titanic is simply the backdrop for the story. The Titanic's wreck and sinking are artistic elements that parallel what is happening in their relationships, lives, the economy and social classes. Rose is an inspiring female character. Even Jack is just a catalyst for Rose's emancipation and rebirth out of the water.

I really hope that it's successful and they will start pulling some of the oldies but goodies out of the vaults and run them for one night across the nation. I don't think they need to reformat them into 3D (please, no!), but there are a lot of classics that would pull a range of people out of their homes to see them again on the big screen. It's seems like it would be profitable, but I'm not sure what it costs to bring out a movie for one night...?

Here's the movies I would gladly pay to see again on the big screen (including a sitter):

The lord of the rings trilogy
              All the Harry Potters!
              The Bourne trilogy
              A few good men

I'm sure i can think of some more...
              Last edited by Ladybug; 03-31-2012, 11:57 AM.
              -Ladybug

Comment

I didn't get to see it on the big screen so this will be my first experience! When I saw it I got it as a Secret Santa present for Christmas and it was on two VHS tapes because it was so long. I loved it. I think I was their target audience at the time because of the age appropriate stars and the movie really being about a love story and the music star they used for the love song. I ate it up! I haven't seen it in a long time too so it will be a bit of nostalgia for me! I get really excited just seeing the previews for it because of the good times it brings up for me.

It's funny you all mention the stars being mortified about the movie because I was just reading an article about Kate hating the Celine Dion song. She says ever since she was made a star from the blockbuster movie that it's haunted her. Everyone plays the song for her and when ever she gets on a boat they crack titanic jokes about the movie. She says it gets old and she's tired of it. She's had a lengthy career after that but everyone recalls the Titanic.

I was just talking to dh about the movie being back in theaters and we're hoping that they do more movies like this for us to have a chance to watch it on the big screen. Maybe at a more affordable rate like the dollar theaters though? He told me they are doing a remake of Total Recall with Collin Farrell and this makes him feel old because we were kids when the first one came out. I told him I thought that was awful because the first Total Recall was perfectly good and I still liked it and couldn't see Collin Farrell doing it justice.
                Last edited by Cinderella; 03-31-2012, 10:25 AM.
                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

There's a theater in Dallas that does that. It was great getting to see The Shining and Pulp Fiction on the big screen with a group of friends.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I never liked Titanic very much. DW and I saw it in the theater when it came out. The special effects, costumes and scenery were excellent, however the story was weak. I also agree that DiCaprio was too young for the part. I remember Kate Winslet as being ok in it. In my mind her best film was her first, Heavenly Creatures.

Lest anyone accuse me of being a typical guy who can't appreciate the romance in a film like this, I consider Somewhere in Time one of my favorite movies!

Comment

That's awesome about Dallas and another reason to go back there. Ya know I do remember thinking Leo looked young and wondering who this Kate was. Perhaps that's why I didn't go see it initially. When I got it as a Secret Santa present I had no excuse and that's when I fell in love with their characters and them as movie stars. The set and everything else certainly helped.

But ya know that wasn't too many years after Interview with a Vampire came out and as a teenager after that movie came out I was hot for Brad Pitt, Christian Slater, Tom Cruise and Antonio Banderas. Now in my 30's within the last few years I picked up a copy of Interview with a Vampire for $5 at Target and re-watched it. OMG, I had no idea how cheesy and gay it seemed! I wondered to myself if it was just the time period I was in or if it is my age and perspective now. lol It's like looking back on movies that have technology in them that seemed so sophisticated back then and then to see it years later is seems so dated. I don't think we'll get that as much from Titanic because it's a period piece but I wonder because of my more recent experience with Interview with a Vampire. The opening scenes of Titanic were of a deep sea expedition where the story begins with the old lady Kate recounting what happened. There is the nerdy appeal of the exploration of science factor there for me too.

There have been articles on yahoo comparing the stars with their then and now pictures. Leo is a handsome filled out beef cake now and Kate got better with age too.
                      Last edited by Cinderella; 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM.
                      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                        I consider Somewhere in Time one of my favorite movies!
                        that was just on TV last week. i taped it for DH to watch because he loves Mackinac Island. It was bitter sweet to watch...Christopher Reeves was such a strapping soild presence on screen.

Comment

But ya know that wasn't too many years after Interview with a Vampire came out and as a teenager after that movie came out I was hot for Brad Pitt, Christian Slater, Tom Cruise and Antonio Banderas. Now in my 30's within the last few years I picked up a copy of Interview with a Vampire for $5 at Target and re-watched it. OMG, I had no idea how cheesy and gay it seemed!
                          That's funny. That was one of the few movies I couldn't finish because the violence was just too much.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

When Titanic came out I was still teaching high school. I remember being mortified because we briefly talked about it in one of my classes and 90% of the kids did NOT know the ship sunk!?@#$ They were annoyed I "gave away the ending."

I mostly loved teaching but I will never forget that moment.
                            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

That is disturbing. One of the things I can't stand about historical fiction is getting attached to the characters, and then knowing the ending!
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X