Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Les Miserables Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We watched it last week, and it really solidified for me the fact that I don't really like the story. It's just too damn depressing. And so much worse on screen! I thought the production was great and everything was put together really well, but I didn't like it that much.

And as far as the singing, yeah, not that great, but it's movie stars, right?
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Turns out Anne Hathaway won the Oscar for her role in this movie. It was nominated and won a lot of other awards this season too. Link

We still haven't seen it but I guess we'll give it a go when or if it gets to RedBox.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        I've always thought that Javert was a rather two dimentional character; he has this single-minded black-and-white understanding of absolute right that is hard to relate to. .
        Grin... I found Javert very EASY to relate to because I live with this character: my oldest son. I was SO surprised his freshman year of high school when this became his favorite book. I was supposed to have him read it as part of our Tapestry of Grace curriculum that year but decided to cut it. I had tried to read it several times myself for fun and never made it through it. ( Though I loved the musical in London.) Instead, I bought the Focus on the Family radio theater version and we listened to it on a family trip. After that, he saw that he was supposed to read it and asked if he could read the novel.. So we did. He LOVED it. ( And this is my math/science geek.) He related so much to the character of Javert. I've always said that he is my Pharisee...the one who sees things black and white..the one who REALLY needs some compassion. To him, things are cut and dried. There are rules.. you obey rules, you do well. You break rules, then you deserve what you get... He completely understood Javert's dilemma. It was the first time that he saw the shades of gray in humanity.

I thought Anne Hathaway was INCREDIBLE!!!! My daughter wants to see this movie SO much, but at 11 she is too young.. Though she knows the musical by heart. I'm just not sure she is ready for the scene where she gives her body. I could edit out the Santa Claus scene ( Why in the world??????) but the scene where she gives herself is so integral to the movie...

Comment

Too depressing????? I guess but to me it was so life affirming.. Valjean was so beat down by society that held him down and opresssed him until that priest demonstrated the love of Christ: that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.... Valjean stole from him and yet he gave him grace and with it he began a new life where he helped others!!!!! I found the end of the movie uplifting as he goes to join Anne Hathaway in his eternal reward... To me, it helps me see that this world was never meant to be my home...
          Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
          We watched it last week, and it really solidified for me the fact that I don't really like the story. It's just too damn depressing. And so much worse on screen! I thought the production was great and everything was put together really well, but I didn't like it that much.

And as far as the singing, yeah, not that great, but it's movie stars, right?

Comment

Working...
          X