Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Royal Baby: the great #KateWait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Baby: the great #KateWait

That's what the media has hashtagged it as anyways. They've been camped out since the beginning of July at the hospital waiting for Baby Cambridge to arrive. At first they thought the due date was the 13th then the 14th then the 17th and now the hospital staff revealed they were told it's July 19th TODAY. That matches up with Camilla, Charles and the Queen's comments that it will be by the end of this week or that they're looking forward to the news this week. One report said a friend of Carol's said she was told by Kate's Mom the baby will be a Leo which is July 23rd. Maybe she thinks the baby will be late? If the due date is today as the hospital staff says then at the latest the baby will arrive August 2nd.

The media has waited so long they are paranoid they 're at the wrong hospital. One news outlet has a live stream of the hospital doors to capture the arrival. They announced that in London they're going to blast cannons or guns in a salute when the baby is born. There have been several false alarms and the PM has had to call the Palace to check. I can't believe we're all waiting on the news of the baby but I admit it's kind of cool to see the heir to the throne born and watch history unfold in our life time. I was too young to remember when William was born but I wonder if this was how it felt back then? I was conscious of the boys growing up being kids on TV when I was a kid.
    Last edited by Cinderella; 07-19-2013, 03:04 AM.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

I was listening to a story on NPR that said that people in the US care waaaaaaaaaaaay more about this kid than any other country (including GB). I found the entire story pretty hilarious.
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Why is that I wonder? Because we don't have our own royalty, our voyeristic society has to stalk someone else's?

I'll admit I'm curious what she has and what they name it but then again I'm curious about that with all of my friends, people I know, that have kids - I don't understand the stalking, etc. if the kid becomes king or queen they're going to be like 90 because there are so many in front of them and they obviously have some good longevity genes in that family!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That's pretty crazy! I can't imagine that kind of publicity. I was going nuts with the texts from family and friends asking if I'd had my baby yet!
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I remember William and Harry's births. I don't remember all the staking out, etc. but I thought Diana bringing the babies to the window balcony to show the crowds outside was kind of cool. I also remember that's when I learned the term "an heir and a spare".

I get interest in the birth but I think the stalkarazzi situation has gotten crazier and crazier. I'm guessing it's because there is so much moola to be had for the first photo, etc. Also, the Internet has created too many media outlets out there to fill.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
            I remember William and Harry's births. I don't remember all the staking out, etc. but I thought Diana bringing the babies to the window balcony to show the crowds outside was kind of cool. I also remember that's when I learned the term "an heir and a spare".

I get interest in the birth but I think the stalkarazzi situation has gotten crazier and crazier. I'm guessing it's because there is so much moola to be had for the first photo, etc. Also, the Internet has created too many media outlets out there to fill.
            I remember it too. I think she lied about the due date for William so her baby was "early". That kept the media away.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              Why is that I wonder? Because we don't have our own royalty, our voyeristic society has to stalk someone else's?
              Probably a little of this. Plus they seem so refined and even "normal" compared to American celebrities. No selling baby photos, tweeting pregnancy pictures, etc. Just class and attempting normalcy in pregnancy. I think it's frankly refreshing. Especially that she's stayed out of sight for the last month. I especially like that they'll show the baby/announce the name right away. I'm so sick of celebs withholding names/pictures, etc. to make more money. Kim Kardashian's mom actually FAKED bringing Kim's baby on stage the other day to promote her new daytime talk show (I saw it on the news). Pathetic.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I kind of hope that Kate is able to have the baby in secrecy and the press doesn't find out until after the kid is like a month old. I really like how she is handling it, but I wish the media vultures would just go away. One of my friends from journalism school covers the royal family for a major celebrity weekly. She's been on call for the past month.

Comment

I think Kate is going to delivery no where near where they're all staked out. I'd put my money on a hospital in Wales.

J.

Comment

Jenn, me too!
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

After the incident while she was in the hospital early in her pregnancy that resulted in the nurse committing suicide, I would not doubt she is somewhere else too.
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I think she's probably elsewhere too. I also don't believe that they'll be living with her family for a month after the birth, that's not a very British thing to do. Generally, the new family are given some alone time for a few weeks once home from the hospital.
                        I think people are fascinated because they're so 'normal' compared to the rest of the royal family. It would be great if it were the first female heir to the throne.
                        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I think also it has to do with the invention of the internet and multiple platforms that was can access for the way we consume our information. It's conveniently at our finger tips in a moments notice. You can find anything on the internet. That's why it's commonly referred to as an open sewer.

The other reason is the content people consume now days is more entertainment oriented than information oriented. They've done studies and research on this and pin pointed the change in popular American habit that crystallized in the 1990's with the Amy Fisher story and the OJ Simpson Trial. Since then the industry has been more geared towards higher ratings. If it brings in ratings it's like a shark frenzy that smells blood.

With this royal couple I think it's because we're seeing Princess Diana's sons come of age. The US really loved her and to see the heir to the throne marry some one who is not royal is fascinating. The US raises girls on Disney Princesses so part of it may also be the fantasy that it could have been any of us. Then to see that the couple continues to be modern and not always go with tradition is refreshing. Also they're an attractive young well mannered and well dressed couple which brings the glitter and glamour of something similar to Hollywood Royalty. I agree that it's really difficult to find descent young role models to look up to these days in the States when it seems everyone we have that the media focuses on is full of the latest drama to promote ratings.

It would really be nice to have a national institution that is outside the realm of expressing politics, values charity, and bringing attention to causes. All the while being something historic and produces fine individuals. Never mind a civilian family to pass the duties of that institution on to. The closest thing we have is our military.
                          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I am pretty sure I am the last person on earth who does not care and thinks it is weird that a country that rejected a monarchy is obsessed with this. But I wish them well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
                              I really don't care. If anything it makes me sad. Especially with the paparazzi feeding frenzy that was the end of Diana. Let her have the baby in peace. No one will die of neglect or anticipation if they don't get moment by moment breaking updates. We don't even know William and Kate.
                              Word.

Comment

Working...
                              X