Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Camera Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Help

I need to upgrade my camera big time! I just need help deciding which one I should get. I was looking at costco and found 2, which are very similar to each other. My 2 choices are the Nikon D3100 Digital SLR
    18-55mm VR Lens+ 55-200mm VR Lens and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i Camera
    3.7 Frames Per Second HD Video 1920x1080. I'm just not sure if I should spend the extra money or not. This will be my first SLR camera. Hope someone can help me out.

Here are the links
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...uctsInCategory

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...4-Cat83&topnav=

The Rebel is a great starter DSLR--Nikon has an equivalent, but I do not know much about it.

I'm biased toward Canon, but I'd get the rebel because it has HD Video. Canon is making HUGE strides with it's video offerings...even in its lower end models.

I'd also consider buying just the camera body and buying lenses separately. I'm not a fan of the kit lens that comes with the camera and would recommend ditching it and using the money to buy something slightly more high end. It would be hard to recommend a particular lens, though.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Links aren't working for me. Do both come with 2 lenses? What's the price difference?
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

As an amateur I love the lens kits!
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Marissa- Yes both come with lens kits. The canon comes with 18-55 +55-250mm lens. The Nikon comes with a 18-55mm VR Lens+ 55-200mm. Thank's girls for your help. I'm just a little overwhelmed by all the info out there. I have been saving up for years to get a DSLR and want to make the best choice. The camon is $849 and the nikon is $699.

Comment

Ok, several things jump out at me:

1. Do you really need an SLR? I know everyone and their mother has one, but most people don't use them to their full capacity and probably never ever leave the automatic mode. Don't forget that an SLR is quite big, not to mention expensive.

2. Don't be afraid of the kit lenses, especially as a beginner. Here's where I disagree with ST time and again. If you're an experienced photographer with a deeper understanding of photography, better lenses do indeed provide a higher level of satisfaction. For most people, however, kit lenses are more than enough.

3. You won't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Go to the store and hold them. Try taking pictures with them. Try reviewing and deleting pictures on the camera. I'm personally a Nikon girl. The very first camera I used was a Canon Digital Rebel, and I personally thought that deleting a picture was unnecessarily complicated. It's so much easier on a Nikon. I know that's a small thing, but you should feel comfortable with your camera, and it should feel right in your hand, especially when you're spending that kind of money on it. Oh and make sure there's a battery inside the camera when you're holding it. That changes the balance quite a bit.

And here's an article I came across today. It made me think of this thread. http://www.digital-photography-schoo...to-manual-mode
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Check Amazon too. We got an older model Nikon DSLR prior to a long vacation and it was only $400 because they were discontinuing the model. All Nikon lenses were still compatible and it's been a GREAT camera. I agree though that you have to want to put the time in to use it and get the most out of it. It was a little intimidating at first but now I love it!!!
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                2. Don't be afraid of the kit lenses, especially as a beginner. Here's where I disagree with ST time and again. If you're an experienced photographer with a deeper understanding of photography, better lenses do indeed provide a higher level of satisfaction. For most people, however, kit lenses are more than enough.
                I agree - I tend to think of photography in two categories. I take some "forever" pictures with my good lenses. These are the ones that I'll eventually get into nice frames or printed on canvas to display. Then I take other pictures just for the memories - DS doing something funny, our family on vacation, kids at playgroup, etc. These will go in photo albums that I'll look at when I'm 80. I don't care as much about the quality of these as just capturing the moment, and for that, the kit lens (or sometimes even my cell phone) is easier.

For the camera recommendation, I love my Rebel! It's their cheapest model, but it's been great to learn advanced settings on, and since I tend to just throw it in my diaper bag when we go somewhere, I like that I'm not carrying around over a thousand dollars worth of camera.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I like the article MissCrabette posted--it's true. If you are going to shoot on auto the entire time, there honestly isn't a whole lot of point in getting a DSLR. Not that you cant ever...I will admit to still doing it occasionally in portrait sessions when I have a little kid running around and there isn't a lot of time to adjust settings or the light is really odd.

As for the kit lens...how exactly are you planning on using the camera? Just for family snapshots? Will you be shooting kids sporting events? Trying to take portraits? It's not easy to get the "blurred background" look so many people are after with the kit lens, so do consider that.

Yes, I use my camera "professionally" now, but I ditched the kit lens within the first week. I bought the same combo package you are looking at and I was using the telephoto almost exclusively after the first week. I did use the kit lens some during a trip to Europe, but mostly because I was afraid of damaging a nicer lens. Actually, I should probably just sell the darn thing. It's been sitting in a drawer for 2 years, now!

The kit lens is fine for family snapshots, etc. but just don't get too dependent on it. If you really start using your camera a lot, you could try renting different lenses to see what you like.

One thing I don't recommend is getting the "nifty fifty" as a complete beginner. A lot of mommy photography forums will talk about it and you'll be tempted. It takes awesome portraits and it is the lens I usually keep on my camera. However, it confuses the heck out of anyone I hand the camera too, including people with some SLR experience. Prime lenses are awesome, but take some practice to get used to. LadyM has gotten quite good at it, though--love your pictures on Facebook!

Oh and check out The Pioneer Woman's Photography Section--lots of good tips, there!
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

You ladies are awesome!! I appreciate all your advice. I do plan on taking alot different types of pics with this camera. I hope to one day take portraitsof the girls once I learn more about the camera and how they work. I still willuse my point and shoot for something's too. I never thought about renting alens, what a great idea! Thanks again!

Comment

Aww, thanks, ST! I had no idea you could rent lenses either! That's awesome! It'll help build my wish list.
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I just wanted to let you girls know what camera we ended up buying. After months of looking, we decided on the Nikon 3100. I love it!!! Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Glad you found something you like!

Comment

Working...
                          X