Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Branding, marketing, packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branding, marketing, packaging

So, I am at the point where I would like to have my own logo/colors/"brand". Where do I begin? Also, any suggestions as to where to order some packaging materials for just getting started? Once I get my "brand" nailed down, I will be doing a revamp of my website. Any suggestions on that front? www.jgravesphotography.com

TIA!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

How much are you willing to spend?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
      So, I am at the point where I would like to have my own logo/colors/"brand". Where do I begin? Also, any suggestions as to where to order some packaging materials for just getting started? Once I get my "brand" nailed down, I will be doing a revamp of my website. Any suggestions on that front? www.jgravesphotography.com

TIA!
      The main suggestion I'd have for the website is to have a gallery of your best work by category (at least 15-20 pictures in each category), rather than the only examples of your work being the slideshow on the front page. If you can swing it, a way for people to see their proofs online and share them with friends would be great, too (but I know that's something you generally either pay for or have to program, and it can get complex).

A *rough* idea of how much you cost would be nice, too, at least an explanation of how your rates are structured, and what exactly I would get, and what I can pay extra for. I actually helped a friend set up his photography website years ago, and another thing he did was write up a "how to prepare for/what to expect at your session" page.

Look at other photographer's sites, and see what you like and what you don't.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I agree about the costs, at least a "packages starting at X" - I tend to shy away from vendors who don't give their prices.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          How much are you willing to spend?
          I don't know - I don't really know what's reasonable/feasible...
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Having N detailed all of my plans, but I paid a friend in sushi to design my infamous logo and a few other things.

I'll type more later
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              I tend to shy away from vendors who don't give their prices.
              Me too - I agree about putting as much pricing information as possible.

Your pictures are beautiful!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

You are so talented!! Why do you not live closer...I shell out so much every few months for family photographs because it's so important to me.

Ok, I digress.

I definitely agree with sharing the way that you're packages are structured, even if it's just portrait sessions starting at $x. Also, I see you offer editing and a CD of images with the session fee. Definitely make sure you price that in - that's very unusual. Most have a session fee and then you pay for each and every image/print/product. We can (and have) debate whether that's appropriate but it seems to be the industry standard so if you're going to buck that trend, make sure that you earn enough with your sessions to account for all your editing time, etc. Our current photographer, for example, offers mini sessions at a location of her choosing and that is cheaper than having it all completed in the client's home. Plus, she limits the number of images in a mini session so she saves her time editing. She breaks her pricing into: Prints and Products, Sessions, and Portrait Packages (i.e. maternity/newborn package, watch me grow package).

I would also add a "What to Expect" section that details your recommendations (perhaps tailored to the session type) on what to wear, how long sessions last, what to expect from you in terms of communication, etc.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I think your website is a good start! Nice headshot!

For branding, if you are willing to spend the money, hire a pro. I've heard great things about this place and I'm sure there are more out there:

http://doodledogadvertising.com/

They do beautiful Wordpress based websites that are awesome, but pricey. Otherwise, I would consider getting a template. I like Creative Motion Designs. Stay away from bludomain. And in the world of ipads and iphones, get an HTML based site and stay away from flash. They do some awesome HTML templates now.

I also really like the resources this person has put together as far as building a brand and writing creatively for your website:

http://www.brandcampblog.com/

For proofing, there are a lot of awesome services out there. I like ExposureManager, but again, they all aren't cheap. They do help you collect sales tax though. On that note, don't ignore the legal part of your business. It's highly unlikely you will get on the IRS' radar, but it seems to be the quickest way to piss off other photographers in your area. I've seen it happen and it isn't pretty. Luckily it wasn't me

If you want a really cheap way of doing a logo, you could do something entirely font based. It can look really nice. Just be sure to check the license if you download it for free and make sure it is available for commercial use.

For packaging, I like Cardsandpockets.com. Check Etsy too.

A great resource for info in general has been a Facebook group for photographers in my area--maybe there is something in yours? Or a forum? Be warned that for every nice and helpful person you meet, there will be 10 on the bitchy side. Just the way it seems to go in photography.

I'll live through you vicariously until I quit my job or grow a money tree

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post

TIA!
                    This is an exercise I did when I was rebranding my website and I found it to be really helpful: What adjectives/words come to mind when viewing your portfolio? Fun? Happy? Sentimental? Classic? Warm? Colorful? Show your images to other people and ask them the same question. Narrow the list down to the three (or so) words you think best represent your work and the feeling(s) you're trying to convey in your photos and let those words guide your logo/colors/branding choices. So for instance, if your three words are classic, calming and sentimental then you'll probably want to go with soft, monotone colors and a simple, slightly feminine logo. If your three words are fun, colorful and energetic then you'd probably go with more contrasting colors and could get away with a bolder logo.

For your website, I like Poky's suggestion of having a separate gallery for each type of photography you want to shoot (those 5 you list on your services page). If you don't have enough photos for 5 separate galleries just yet I'd lump a few categories together for the time being rather than have a gallery with like 3 photos in it. And ditto on giving some idea of price, even a vague one. As T&S said, offering a CD of images with the session means more work on the front end for you so make sure you factor that into your pricing structure, especially if you don't have a minimum purchase requirement (i.e. anticipate that some people will take that CD offered with the session and that's it).

Hiring a graphic designer or website designer is obviously the best way to go, but if the $$ isn't there, wordpress is a very user-friendly platform and has lots of free design templates that can help get you started. That's what my website is built on (though I ended up purchasing a design template specifically for photography websites -- ETA: the template I used was from Pro Photo Blogs. They're similar to Creative Motion Design that ST mentioned. Both very awesome and professional looking).
                    Last edited by niener; 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM.
                    Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

No advice, but YAY for you!
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Thanks for all the responses and kind words, ladies! I will be sitting down with this thread and a piece of paper in the next couple days to revamp things
                        Jen

Comment

Working...
                        X