Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are post processing with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are post processing with?

I use LR for WB, cropping, exposure and quick processes. I wish I was better with it. Some people are able to completely process in LR. I cheat and use presets for the color processing. The best presets (by far) are the CM Moms presets. I bought the willow presets a long time ago but rarely use them. They're way to harsh and I don't want to spend the time readjusting them.

I use Adobe PS CS5 too. I love photoshop, but I tend to get stuck in there forever making adjustments. It's fun, but I need to learn how to focus and do it more quickly.

I *love* post processing. Opening PS feels like a kid when you give them one of the boxes of 96 crayons and tell them to go for it. It makes a huge difference for my photos because I'm fair from nailing them. I need to work on that...a lot. I'd like to work on my BNW conversions this year too. I want to tackle skin tones this year too. I purchased a skin e-tutorial from CM moms that I want to work through.

I have a lot of actions (mostly florabella), but I tend to tweak a lot on my own before applying them.

Does anyone batch process? I havent' tried yet because all exposure/WB is still so uneven throughout my batches.
    Last edited by Ladybug; 12-26-2012, 05:47 AM.
    -Ladybug

Huh?

I clearly have A LOT to learn about photography.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I used to batch process, but then I'd spend so much time tweaking everything that I just decided to individually process.
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
        Huh?

I clearly have A LOT to learn about photography.
        After the P52 you'll totally get it. I'm thinking we'll hit post processing 1/2 through the year. There are some cheaper online versions that I started with several years ago. I'll do some research and see what the latest and greatest is out there in variable price ranges.
        -Ladybug

Comment

Cool. I have a Mac if that makes any difference.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay
            How much of a time commitment is this weekly?
            I'd say 1-3 hours per week depending your interest and time availability. I'll outline the technique/topics and then link some tutorials, articles and examples. Everyone can share their own links, tuts, etc. to expand the "library."

I usually spend more time shooting and trying to perfect the technique, but that will come down to time available and your degree of pathologic perfectionism It's a lot of fun and worth the investment of time IMO. I enjoy being able to get decent photos of my kids' moments.

The iphone P52 would be less time intensive. You can't shoot in manual so it would be more about expanding your ideas regarding content and composition. I did find some new processing apps that I downloaded today. It's on sale for the holiday (75% off still) and called FX Photo Studio. The more interesting P52s I browsed had used this app. I'm curious what it can do. I guess we could do it through an instagram group.

I'll post beginner info and then some higher level challenges for those already shooting in manual.

I'm excited. This will push me to read some of the unread photog books collecting dust on my bookshelf. It feels good to be shooting again. Last year was a hard year for me. I'm looking forward to reviving some hobbies this year.
            Last edited by Ladybug; 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM.
            -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
              Cool. I have a Mac if that makes any difference.
              Macs rock. The colors are amazing. Most photogs are married to their macs.
              -Ladybug

Comment

I heart my mac, even though the internet connection can be wonky sometimes.

I have Aperture and Photoshop CS6 (I just upgraded a few weeks ago from CS3 and it's seeeeexy!). If I'm just doing some "quick n' dirty" editing I'll open up Aperture and batch process most of it. If I'm doing more than that I use Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop combo. When I bought my mac I got Aperture as part of the deal so that's why I use it, but after playing with the latest Camera Raw (which is sort of like a mini-version of LightRoom) I think I would like LR better. But I don't foresee buying it anytime soon, I've got other stuff I want to blow my money on first .
                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Re: buying processing software - if you are a resident/med student/academic spouse, check your DH's discount - we got Adobe Creative Suite for $40!
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Lightroom mostly. I took a Lightroom class and a photoshop class. I really needed both to be able to use them at all, Lightroom especially. I rarely use photoshop anymore, Lightroom really does it all. You really need to understand how the library and storage works though, or you can do some major damage to your photo storage.

I don't know if it is because I don't seem to ever have time to do much with photography lately, but beyond exposure corrections and the like (ad converting to b&w) I don't use many actions or presets. I went from using them all the time to sticking with a very classic look. I think it is easy to overuse them and I'm totally guilty. I cringe at some of my earlier work
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                      You really need to understand how the library and storage works though, or you can do some major damage to your photo storage.
                      I know! Mine's a mess. My goal is to clean it up this year and come up with an easy, user-friendly cataloging system. I've been importing and putting into monthly subfolder, but I can't pull them up from the folders. It's a nightmare right now.

What are you doing?
                      -Ladybug

Comment

I use Photoshop Elements 9. I agree about the actions. I think since everyone started Instagram-ing or oversaturating every single picture, it just became more trendy than artistic. I edit almost every picture individually, but I mainly just fix color and lighting.
                        Last edited by ladymoreta; 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM. Reason: Oops, had the wrong version!
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Mine is a mess too. I get stabby when someone takes a million pics and expects me to upload them to my precious hard disk space. I offloaded a bunch to an external and that helps.

Even taking the class it is still hard to figure out what todo sometimes. The system makes a lot of sense but if you decide to get creative it can go downhill fast
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Now that I've finally got some free time (eyeroll) I intend to learn how to use the flipping camera, other than point and shoot. What is a good software program that is so user-friendly a total beginner can use it? I looked around online but was bewildered by the different choices.

Comment

iPhoto. No idea otherwise. Lightroom is awesome but I had to take a class to really get anywhere in it

Comment

Working...
                              X