Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New DSLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DSLR

I think we'd like to get a new DSLR, and my parents have offered to buy me one for Christmas. We have a Canon 350D and a couple of lenses - 7-40mm f/4L and a 50mm f/1.8. I know we need more lenses too, at least one with a longer range. I'm still learning how to use it properly, but I think I'll do better with it once I actually have something to take pictures of, like a baby.

Any suggestions for a camera and lenses? I'd like to get another Canon so we can use the lenses we have. I'd also like it to use an SD card - ours now takes Compact Flash, which I hate.
    Last edited by alotofyarn; 11-02-2013, 06:18 PM.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

I'm willing to compromise on the SD card, after looking into them more.

The 7D looks like a good choice, maybe the 70D depending on budget, or the T5i if we really want to go down on budget. The 6D could be an option too, but then we'd definitely need to get an external flash (I'd like one anyway).
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I have a Canon 7d and like it. Honestly the rebels are a really good choice right now though
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It sounds like you've got it pretty narrowed down staying with Canon, so I'd just focus on the features you really want and budget. I've had a Rebel, a 20D and a 7D, all were very good for their price points. For lenses, if you're looking for something fixed length I looove the canon 85 1.8. I've gotten some gorgeous headshots with that thing. Also I wouldn't discount third party lenses to save some money -- I've had good luck with Tamron.
        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Thanks! I guess I don't quite know enough to know which features are really important - any thoughts there?

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
            Thanks! I guess I don't quite know enough to know which features are really important - any thoughts there?
            Depends on your usage. Do you want a touch-screen display? Do you want a fold-out display? How important is having quality video capability? How heavy do you want it to be? How do they all feel in your hands? I have an SD slot on my computer, so I would be hesitant to get a new camera that I couldn't just pop the card in. I also have some lenses, so I would want cross-compatibility (I wouldn't get a Nikon at this point because most of my glass is Canon). I have also had good luck with Tamron glass. I think an 85 might be too zoomed in for daily baby usage. I barely have enough room with my 50mm in the house.

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I don't care much about touch screen or fold out display. Video would be nice, but we do have a separate video camera. Lighter is always good - I need to go to the store and feel them I guess. My husband likes larger, I'd probably prefer smaller, so that may not matter much anyway. I have SD slots too, which is why I'd prefer a camera that takes SD, but I realize that some of the higher quality bodies still use CF.

Comment

Yeah all of the better dSLRs I know of use CF, but you can pick up a multi-card reader with a USB connection for next to nothin'.

Going to the store and trying them out wouldn't be a bad idea. There is quite a big size and weight difference between the Rebels and the 7D, for example. I have small hands and it took me some time to get used to the 7D. My hand still cramps up sometimes after a long day of shooting. I need to find some hand exercises or something, lol.

And I agree with GRU, it's difficult to use anything longer than a 50 indoors unless you live in a mansion. I use the 85 outside more often than not.
                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

My mom took us camera shopping today so we could have the camera before baby girl gets here. We ended up going with the 70D kit with the 18-135mm/f3.5-5.6 lens after considering price vs. what we really wanted and needed (and what my parents seemed open to buying).

I've done a few tutorials in the past, but I'd love some suggestions for additional lessons if anybody has good recommendations. I'd like to be able to shoot in manual mode and have a little bit of a clue what I'm doing, or at least figure out when to change modes for different reasons.

Comment

The best starting place I found was Pioneer Woman's "What the Heck is an Aperture?" series on her photography site. It's a great explanation with pictures to see what she's talking about. Some local photographers also offer classes. I learned a lot in just a couple hours from one of those sessions.
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Get a 50mm anyway...you will love it with a newborn!!!
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

ST - we have the 50mm already, and I LOVE it!!

Comment

Love PW's series, LM - thanks so much for recommending them!

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                            My mom took us camera shopping today so we could have the camera before baby girl gets here. We ended up going with the 70D kit with the 18-135mm/f3.5-5.6 lens after considering price vs. what we really wanted and needed (and what my parents seemed open to buying).

I've done a few tutorials in the past, but I'd love some suggestions for additional lessons if anybody has good recommendations. I'd like to be able to shoot in manual mode and have a little bit of a clue what I'm doing, or at least figure out when to change modes for different reasons.
                            Join clickinmoms. It's worth every penny…which aren't a whole lot of pennies to be honest.
                            -Ladybug

Comment

I have the memory of a goldfish. Sorry!

Comment

Working...
                              X