Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speedlight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedlight question

So DH got me a speedlight (attaches to my Nikon D40 on the shoe) for Christmas. I am such a newbie but I have a question. I am really trying to mostly shoot in manual now and I've noticed that sometimes when I switch between using the speedlight and back to natural light (not with the speedlight), my camera is somehow using an exposure comp of +5. I noticed this because I was metering to "0" (not over or underexposing) and my pics were coming out horribly dark. When I looked at my settings, it said ex comp was +5 and I was like, how did that happen? When I adjusted it and metered to "0" again, all was now coming out properly exposed.

I really this is a fairly specific question but does anyone know WHY using my speedlight causes my camera to randomly adjust the ex comp? And it only appears to happen sometimes...

I don't know a) why this is happening, b) is this a good thing, and c) how do I get it to set back when I switch to not using the speedlight.

Can anyone help?
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

I have never had a speed light…but I really want one
    -Ladybug

Comment

Not sure either, but I would check out Blue Crane Digital's DVD for your speedlight. They are awesome tutorials!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Ha I would have known a few years ago but I've forgotten it all.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And...th-the-d4.html
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

No comprende...
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
              No comprende...
              Neither did I, but I assumed that it was because it was in Nikon-ese Then I saw your other post that you don't have a Nikon speedlight...off to do more research!
              Jen

Comment

E did you ever figure this out? I tried to google it but didn't come up with much of anything. That's really odd to me, I can't think of why attaching a flash to your camera would cause the in-camera exposure comp settings to change unless there's some sort of glitch. Do you still have the manual for your camera? Maybe there's a setting that's gotten changed from it's default somewhere.
                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
                  E did you ever figure this out? I tried to google it but didn't come up with much of anything. That's really odd to me, I can't think of why attaching a flash to your camera would cause the in-camera exposure comp settings to change unless there's some sort of glitch. Do you still have the manual for your camera? Maybe there's a setting that's gotten changed from it's default somewhere.
                  No, I didn't. I didn't even realize until I looked at the settings on my screen that the EV was +5 and I knew that wasn't right. I can't imagine I would have changed it to that level at any point. Especially because I would have noticed that the camera wasn't metering to "0" immediately as soon as I started shooting in manual, right? I noticed it because it wasn't making ANY sense that I was metering to 0 and getting incredibly dark photos even though there was enough light.

Comment

Working...
                  X