Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Finding a local photographer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a local photographer

How do I find a local photographer that can take good shots of our family, and won't charge a bajillion dollars?

I'd also like to own the pictures and full copyright, if possible. I know that this is a sore topic, but I feel like I should be able to get them printed where and when I want. I'm willing to pay a bit more for this, but I don't want to pay $200 for one framed print.

Any recommendations?
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

I'll do a search for locals on my photography site today.
    -Ladybug

Comment

I'm watching this thread. I got recommendations from a wedding planner friend but haven't tried them out yet. She tells me anyone good is pricey unless they are new.

When our kids pictures were taken for school this year they had a "digital license" package which was basically a jpg file with no copyright that you could print yourself.

Angie
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'd start with Angie's List. Those reviews usually have a lot of detail.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

You can find someone to give you a package that includes x number digital images usually. They won't normally give them all to you bc they don't want to have to edit the crappy outtakes.

But yeah, it's really pricey. 10-15 edited images from a session around here is like $300-400. That is a 30 minute session so no time for wardrobe changes, etc.

I chose to go with someone pretty stellar though (she speaks at national photog conventions) bc it's really important to me. You can definitely strike a good balance of price and quality - especially since your children will hold still and cooperate!
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Very little to almost nothing on Angie's List for photographers in my area.

Comment

I don't really need the images edited. I'm capable of using photoshop myself.

Comment

It sounds like you just want basics? Is there a journalism program at Ryan's school? Is there a junior or senior that is really into photography that would jump at the chance to add pictures to their portfolio?
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Darn! We have the same problem. I just had to call around from a Google search. The one I found gives you digital images of pictures you buy prints of. Fortunately MIL wanted the prints. It seems like newer photographers are more likely to offer digital packages.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    It sounds like you just want basics? Is there a journalism program at Ryan's school? Is there a junior or senior that is really into photography that would jump at the chance to add pictures to their portfolio?
                    I don't know, and I wouldn't know how to find out. In any event, I'd like someone good at it! I want good pictures that don't accentuate my side boob. I'd like pictures that are more natural and modern, but are still good. I don't know how to describe it. I don't want "studio shots" that I could get by going to Sears. I want location shots and help knowing where to stand and at what angle to hide my fat.

Comment

Hmmm I'm not sure where to look honestly.

I'd ask for a reprint license, not full copyright. You don't want full copyright. That means the photographer has no right to them in the future and you have the right to use them commercially in the future, which I imagine isn't what you are looking for. And why a photographer would charge you a million buckaroos for that

A good option for you might be a mini session. Shorter time frame and fewer images, but usually much cheaper in general. Ill look around for you today. Gotta do something at work

Too bad I won't be in FL anytime soon!
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I may wait for you!

I'm losing weight right now, at about 1.5 pounds a week. DH is on board fully for like the 1st time ever, so it's made it easier. Anyway, I was thinking April or May.

Comment

If you come to Nashville DS17 will do them for you

Seriously, ask around at the high school and see if there is a photographer looking to get their name out there. DS is charging $125 for senior portraits unedited, two locations, and giving all the images on a flash drive.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Finding a local photographer

I'd ask for referrals from friends in the area. We found our photographer this way and she is pretty amazing.

Her pricing structure has several levels, but she gives a personal print release. We paid $200 for DD's 45 minute senior portrait session. That have us 8 digital prints and personal print rights. She did all the editing.

We hired the same gal to do our first family portraits ever. We had a 1 1/2 hour session, 40 edited digital prints, a slew of hard prints, personal print rights, and we paid $650.

She also does 30 minute "mini sessions" for about $100 that include 5 digital prints and personal print release.

Comment

What area do you live in? Maybe we can find someone that's portfolio building around you. They charge less because they're just starting out and building up their image portfolio. They would want to retain copyrights though and wouldn't allow you to edit/alter them since they are using them to launch their business. However, they are usually less expensive too. Most people will quote you an outrageous price for digital rights rather than just saying no way.

If you contact a school you might be able to find someone that shoots-and-burns like Pollyanna's son. It sounds like that is more of what you're looking for. They are out there, even professionally, but usually they don't as strong of a web presence as better photographers, hence their lower prices. There is a lot of hidden cost in photography.

It sounds like you're looking for a natural light, on-site photographer rather than studio experience, so include that in your search.

Did you do a search on FB or flickr? There are geographical area photography groups to look through.

What area do you live in? I'll make a post online in my photography group. It's massive. I think most of the responds will be from high-end photographers, but maybe we can catch someone in the PBing stage of their career. Fingers crossed.
                              -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                              X