Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Editing software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing software

I'm shooting in JPG + RAW and really want to be able to better edit the RAW files. I know we had a brief discussion about PS Elements vs Lightroom vs PS in the other thread, but I thought I'd open it back up.

I did a trial of PS Elements and mostly liked it, although it was kind of a pain that you had to open up PSE then ACR to edit them - or did I do this wrong? Also, as far as I can tell, you can't use presets, which seems like it might be nice.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Presets like editing actions? You can definitely do that PSE, I use them all the time.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Presets are for lightroom. You cannot adjust/mask with layers in LR (unless that's been changed recently, there were rumors). I think LR is a great editing tool, but it runs about $300, and the presets make global changes to your images. There is an adjustment brush for local changes, but it does not give you as fine local control that PS does with the layers and masks. I love my presets, but I end up carrying all my favorite images over into PS to make final tweaks.

I did purchase the Adobe creative cloud for photography membership which gives you PS and LR for $10/month for one year. It's a DEAL considering what I've paid for software in the past. The cloud membership is revolutionary and will greatly reduce cost for editing software YiPPy! Learning how to use it to it's fullest potential is a lifetime endeavor, but there are classes, even free online streaming classes at creative live. It's becoming more and more accessible to everyone.

Good Luck! I like editing just as much (maybe more) than photographing. It's half the fun!
      -Ladybug

Comment

T&S - I downloaded the free ones from ClickinMoms, for Lightroom and ACR, but I don't think I can use those.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Yeah, you have to use in the specified format. So Lightroom ones wouldn't work in PSE.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
          X