Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

B&W pullback and SOOC image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&W pullback and SOOC image

So here's the pull back of Jude's black and white I took yesterday. It's a fairly dark room, and the window gets indirect (soft) light. I let one side of the curtains down to decrease the size of the light source. The larger the light source the more light "wraps around" your subject. The smaller the light source the more dramatic the lighting, and more shadows. I placed Jude about 18 inches from the window, covering the electrical outlet on the wall. I stood him against the wall, 90 degrees to the light source. 90 degrees creates the dramatic split lighting effect with hard shadow line down the center of the subject's nose and forehead. The light should not spill over to the other cheek. Jude's forehead looks a little dark in this, probably because his head is tilted down. If I had angled him 45 degrees towards the light source the light should wrap over his nose and create a triangle of light (Rembrandt's triangle) under his far eye. 45 degree is the universally most flattering light, but getting a little kid to sit or stand at the right angle is hard, if not impossible. It's beautiful when you nail it, but I have a lot of practice to do on that.

pull back by Erica Beyer, on Flickr

Here's my SOOC. I think I did a pretty good job getting the lighting effect I was going for. I used a B&W preset in LR that made the shadows super dark. I cloned out the little highlight on his right arm. In PS I reduced noise, added some blur to his face and body, increased sharpness in his fingers and blanket just a tad to highlight where the focus fell. I didn't intentionally focus on his fingers (he was moving a lot) but I like the way that turned out. His facial features look softer and more "dreamy," and the blanket becomes the an equal subject.

lovey SOOC by Erica Beyer, on Flickr

And the final again

stinky lovey 2014 by Erica Beyer, on Flickr

HTH!
    -Ladybug

That's awesome and such a helpful explanation!! It's great to see SOOC and then the edit as well. I have been trying to figure out the edit to make the shadows super dark but I haven't yet. Still, you achieved much of it SOOC so that's something to shoot for at least! It would be easier to edit if I nailed that part at least.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Can you pull down your shadows in a curve layer? You're in PSE right?
      -Ladybug

Comment

Yes in PSE.

Do you convert to B&W before you pull down the curves or after?
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I would convert and then adjust shadows, but leave everything open to keep tweaking. Can you run a curves layer and change the blending mode to soft light and adjust. This will increase the contrast, but in a more appealing way. After I got the photo's shadows where i wanted them I ran a curves/screen blending mode layer to create that gray/matted look. You can also get this by running a contrast curves layer and lifting the black point (bottom left) up a few notches. This will make your black points gray and give that matted, nostalgic look. You can loose some sharpness, but can mask that back in desired areas.

I favor B&Ws. I find them nostalgic. Like time stopped.
          -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
          X