Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dramatic lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dramatic lighting

Since we're all playing around with it I thought it'd be fun to start a thread. I'm trying to get one good shot a day. This includes a lot of misses and annoyed children. Julia was my victim today. I'm excited because I was able to get a 45 degree dramatic lighting shot and the Rembrandt triangle under her eye. She probably could have been a smidge more towards the light, but not much. She was being silly, not posed. I even played with some underpainting effects to make it look a more like a Rembrandt painting in celebration.

I used the other window in the same room. It gets strong, direct light in the afternoon. I had to move her further away from the window because the light was stronger. About 2 feet. She was sitting on her knees 45 degrees to the light. I happened to catch this unguarded expression when she was trying to think ofthe next silly face to make. The footboard behind her is a dark wood.

Julia rembrandt light by Erica Beyer, on Flickr

This has taken me 2 hours to edit. At this rate I can only guarantee one photo per session.

I'll add some summaries from the natural light class later. I'll try to remember to shoot some pull backs too.
    -Ladybug

What did it look like SOOC?
    Kris

Comment

We've been running around all weekend, so I haven't done much practice shooting.

I'd love to get feedback on the ones I've done so far though - these were some the ones that I edited least and felt good about the metering and exposure:

Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Love these. My eye goes straight to E's eyelashes and delicate profile in the last two images. I would increase my exposure next time and blow out the windows to increase the exposure on your subject.

The first picture is definitely backlight. Exposure for your subjects skin and blow out your windows. It can make a dreamy, airy picture. If what she's looking at is your subject then I expose for the window (decrease exposure), increase my aperature to get a sharp (larger DoF) dark silouhette of her against a well exposed window. The story becomes what the anonymous toddler is watching…wishing she was doing.

The light coming through the window in the second two images looks diffused, fairly soft. Next time try increasing your exposure and getting more light on her. Push it as high as you can go without blowing out her highlights. I really like the second shot because it feels more like a silhouette. It's hard when your subject is that close to the window. It's physically hard to get a good angle, and it's easier to blow out highlights because they are so close to the light source. See if you can set her up playing 1-2 feet away from the window.

here's a shot where I creatively blew out my windows, slightly over exposing my subject for an airy feel. I pushed it too far, and the outline of her head is lost/blown. It was actually a gray, drizzly morning with minimal light. I added the peachy, feminine tones in the edit.

julia window by Erica Beyer, on Flickr

HoW, here's my SOOC shot of Julia yesterday. I brightened the dark spots under her eyes, smoothed her out (lots of grain and noise), sparkled her eyes and warmed the tones. She's bit cool and green in the SOOC. I played with the underpainting effects too. Looking at it again today the highlights look a bit rosy. I should probably pull out some magenta overall.

SOOC:

julia rembrandt SOOC by Erica Beyer, on Flickr

My edit:

Julia rembrandt light by Erica Beyer, on Flickr
        -Ladybug

Comment

You guys are so very talented. Ladybug, I would seriously pay you to do a shoot for me and my crew.
          Kris

Comment

Thanks, Kris!! It's a small world and you never know. I'd be thrilled to shoot any of my iMSN peeps! I feel like I know most of the iMSN kids and their personalities.
            -Ladybug

Comment

Thanks Ladybug! I think I was struggling with them, because at first I wanted to get more of a silhouette shot, especially with the first, but I don't think the light was right for that (too much light inside the room). I don't remember how I metered in the second set, if it was on the window or on E's forehead. I couldn't move back in those shots because she was standing on a table, and I needed to be close in case she decided she wanted to move. I could switch to a wider lens though - this was my 35mm, and we do have a 17-40mm.
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Those shots are really hard.. They do make good eyelash, close profile shots. A wider lens will give you more light. You need your DH to play catcher so you can move
                Last edited by Ladybug; 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM.
                -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                  Thanks, Kris!! It's a small world and you never know. I'd be thrilled to shoot any of my iMSN peeps! I feel like I know most of the iMSN kids and their personalities.
                  Um, yeah. So we're going to get together sometime.

Comment

So, when I come visit the New England contingent, this is on my list.
                    Kris

Comment

I have a room ready and waiting!!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                        You need your DH to play catcher so you can move
                        That requires him being home while she's awake! Sometimes he makes it home for bedtime, but not usually when I'm playing around with the camera. He's hit or miss with humoring me and my photography.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                          I have a room ready and waiting!!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                          I am hoping that next year that finances are a bit less tenuous and I can take an actual vacation...
                          Kris

Comment

Here's one I took tonight with my new camera!
                            DSC_0287edit.jpg
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I love it! . It evokes that toddler-watching-waiting mood. Her fingers are so clear. Awesome! What camera did you get?
                              -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                              X