Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Camera upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera upgrade questions

I'm thinking longer-term about upgrading my camera. I have a Nikon d3100 that is several years old and I'm starting to feel its limitations (resolution and print size). It's a fine little entry level, but with a baby on the way I'm itching to take some *really* nice baby photos. I'm a beginner to moderate user, I can shoot in full manual but I'm slow and a bit forgetful at it, I usually shoot in A or S semi-automatic modes for ease. I mostly use it for family and vacation photos, and I really enjoy taking our holiday card photos every year. I'm probably never going to be a power user but I do really value being able to take nice family photos that are better than just snapshots.

This isn't really a $$ priority right now, but I'm just thinking about what I should start saving for.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to invest the $1,800 minimum for a d610 (the lowest $ full-frame sensor body) anytime in the next... oh, eight to ten years. If I did this I would probably also invest in some classes and get a little more serious about it. So for right now we're talking about *slightly* better entry level cameras.

The d5300 has 24 MP and a better ISO range than my current 14 MP camera, but the same DX image sensor, so it might feel like a minimal upgrade.

I could invest in software to start shooting RAW - how much difference does this make, really?

How much could I save buying used? How do you find a good used camera body?

What would you do? Make the minimal upgrade to a 5300, look for a used older full-frame, or just wait it out and see what my options are in a couple more years? At this point I might be able to get $250-$300 for my existing camera body, Nikon is still selling it for $500. I'm sticking with Nikon, btw.
    Last edited by MsSassyBaskets; 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM.
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

I don't think full frame is a must have. I have the canon mid level that isn't full frame (model escaping me now) and it suits my needs just fine. The upgrade in focal points and much better light low sensitivity was worth it
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I've been thinking about this a lot too. I have a D40 (much lower quality light sensor/pixels than a 3100, I think). Honestly, I would wait if I were you. I REALLY wanted to upgrade 2 years ago and instead I really pushed myself to learn to shoot more in manual and more techniques. I'm still not where I want to be but it was a much better use of our money to wait. In the meantime, I've learned how to shoot using prime lens and now I'm learning speedlighting. An upgraded camera would have taken slightly better pictures but learning how to use the camera I have really challenged me much more and I'm much more confident in using my camera now that I can capture almost everything I want.

I'm now looking to upgrade soon (ironically to a d3200, that's tops what I can spend) - I need something better that can BBF, with more pixels, higher ISO, better light sensor, etc. but definitely not ready to go to full frame which feels to me like a pro-level upgrade.

I definitely agree with sticking to your current format so your lens will work.

All that to say, go for it if you want (and let me live vicariously through you!) but I don't think an upgrade is necessary to get what you're describing (shots better than snapshots) because I've got tons of those on my cheapie D40.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I think T&S is right... I was chatting with DH about it and we admitted that we both LOVE new "toys" and this is just one of those things. The $ of upgrading to the 5300 wouldn't actually be that huge, but I would get what I pay for in terms of quality difference. Not a huge change. I wish I could take a class, but at this point I'm not willing to commit to more homework, even fun homework, until my degree is complete. Hoping that the baby gives me lots of good opportunities to practice! I did just get a prime lens, and although I feel comfortable using it, I haven't gotten much mileage out of it yet and I think I can improve my shots a ton just by getting more practice with it, and getting a little more habitual using manual. Maybe in a couple more years some new models will come out that will make the upgrade feel more significant. I think that's the right decision... wait, practice, see what I think about a nicer (but still consumer-level) model in another 2 years or so. That will give me some time to put away money too. Sigh. I just like new toys.

Comment

I'd spend more money on good lenses vs a body too
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Maybe software though... I think I can get a mega-discount on Adobe products through the campus store as long as I'm still a student! Would be a nice change from editing in GIMP.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
              Maybe software though... I think I can get a mega-discount on Adobe products through the campus store as long as I'm still a student! Would be a nice change from editing in GIMP.
              Now THAT would be a no brainer. I have PSE but thinking about upgrading to LR. (Real PS isn't in the budget). For real you'll be SO excited to see what you can do with photo editing.

Oh and BabyBaskets will give you lots of practice. I think my oldest had conservatively 23429034820394820394823408 pictures taken of her.
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I used the education discount and got LR for $80.
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

You can get a $10/month membership for the latest LR and PS and all upgrades. It's a gold mine. I don't think I would ever buy the full software again, just a cloud membership.

I agree with ST, and would invest in a lens over body. Your body sounds very nice, but I'm not a Nikon girl. The lenses make a huge difference. They cost as much as a body too. I sold my L glass two years ago. I miss those puppies. There is nothing like it.
                  -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                    I used the education discount and got LR for $80.
                    I think this is the price I can get. Maybe a Christmas present to myself! After learning to edit in open-source software it will probably feel like a total breeze. And can I edit RAW in that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                      You can get a $10/month membership for the latest LR and PS and all upgrades.
                      We debated this, but I don't really want to use PS at this point, just LR, and we figured after 8 months of the cloud membership, it would be a waste of money, so we decided to just get the full software. I get some upgrades (like I went from 5.5 to 5.6).
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                        You can get a $10/month membership for the latest LR and PS and all upgrades. It's a gold mine. I don't think I would ever buy the full software again, just a cloud membership.

I agree with ST, and would invest in a lens over body. Your body sounds very nice, but I'm not a Nikon girl. The lenses make a huge difference. They cost as much as a body too. I sold my L glass two years ago. I miss those puppies. There is nothing like it.
                        Tell me more...

Comment

There's an adobe cloud for photographers that 10/mo that includes the latest LR and PS. Four years ago I paid $300 for LR and over $600 for CS4!
                          -Ladybug

Comment

I want L Glass so bad but it is soooo pricey. SO pricey.

Having bought software in the past, I'd be down for the cloud membership in a heartbeat. I bought my software in 2008, upgraded in 2011 and I'm still like 3 versions behind. It isn't cheap and they release new versions relatively often.

Comment

Oh man, this night have just changed my life. That would be TOTALLY worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X