Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CM Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CM Classes

Okay, people! I have signed up for my first CM class (um, finally.) Shooting 101: First Steps with DSLR. It says I need this: a prime (fixed aperture) lens (a 50 1.8 or 50 1.4 lens is strongly encouraged). Erm...a little lost. I love to take photos but up to now have only done point and shoot. I have a Canon T2i Rebel. This class starts 9/29 and is 3 weeks long. Are there any classes you guys would recommend I do next? Intro to Natural Light, maybe?

Thanks for any input!

Yay! You can get a 50mm for generally $100 or less. I can link later when I get home. Sometimes they have refurbished ones for even cheaper.

I really loved my MME class and would highly recommend it, depending on what they teach in 101.

I really want to to take Natural Light, Foundations of Composition, the Indoor Light class, Flash, and Lightroom. Someday, when I can afford it...
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Yup, so you'll need a fixed/prime lens. A prime lens doesn't zoom. It's a fixed focal length so to zoom in, you need to physically walk closer to your subject. A prime lens is a GREAT investment if you want to take portraits or even close-up lifestyle photography. My 50 mm/1.8 aperture lens was about $120 so pretty cheap as far as investment goes. The 50 mm/1.4 is going to be a lot more expensive.

Into to natural light would be a great one to try! That'll get you off manual and thinking about light in really good ways. You'll be amazed at how the quality of your photography changes really quickly.

I'm going to take the Indoor light class in November if I can swing it.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Thanks!! I was looking at my camera thinking, yeah, this is probably the lens they're talking about. NOPE! ALOY, a link would be awesome. I don't want to spend tons of money as I want to see where this goes first. Do you guys usually do the full participation or study along? I chose the study along for this class as I figure this is more about figuring out the camera.

I'm so excited! I've been wanting to do this for a long time. You guys have been inspiring me with your beautiful photos.

Comment

This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8.../dp/B00007E7JU
          http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...ii-refurbished (Doesn't look like refurbished is a great deal right now - they occasionally drop to $50-75).
          http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html (Out of stock here, but another good source for refurbs).
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Also, I did FP for my course because I really wanted feedback on exposure, and I did find it helpful. In the future, I'll probably do SA to save money so I can take more courses.

Comment

Eep!!! I'm so excited for you. Get the 50mm/1.8. You're camera body is nicer than the one I started with. Those two pieces of equipment give you a huge amount of growth. You'll know when you outgrown them or you start to become frustrated with the limitations of your lens or body. You're going to love it!

I signed up for the newborn class that starts next week. I havent' done a full participation class in a long time, but I need a push and some experience with newborns. One of the attendings is due next week and agreed to let me practice. It makes me really nervous. It's so different when it's your baby and not just you or a kid.

We should start threads with our weekly practices.

I would go start into shooting 102 (not sure what they call it now, I'll look). It goes into backlighting, silhouettes, starbursts, portraits, lifestyle photography. I would take at least two shoot classes before a processing class. You need to have a good grasp of exposure before you start processing. It's a very dense computer program.
              -Ladybug

Comment

I so badly want to do the newborn class! I see all these amazing props on zulily. (Apparently I have so much free time I think I can also do photography?! ) Yes, we must have threads. Especially when you start the NB class.

Comment

I am self taught until now but I'm doing the flash class as SA. I'd love to do FP but it's too pricey.

The newborn class looks awesome. I'm totally going to try and take it with #3 (when that time comes).
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I just signed up for a SA seat for Mastering Natural Light Indoors (starting first week of Nov), anyone want to join me? I shouldn't have done it (not a good time to be spending $$) but I just did it anyway so no turning back!!

Super excited as we go into the gray of winter in our dark house.

Comment

I did an SA, but never finished the last two lessons. I'd be happy to work along with you. I can't joing the SA group, but I'd be happy to start a thread and share pics and feedback. I really need to review this class. It's the perfect time of year to take it.
                      -Ladybug

Comment

Yay! I'm game to share photos and ideas. When did you take it?

Comment

I really wish I could afford to take another class right now!

Comment

I took it about a year ago. I learned a lot about lighting.
                            -Ladybug

Comment

T&S, when are you taking it.

ALoY, I'd be happy to summarize the concepts for you so you can play along with us.
                              -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                              X