Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Photography Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography Etiquette

Maybe a weird question, I don't know. We've hired one photographer a couple of times now - for our maternity shoot, and for a mini session. She also shot pictures of E last month for her portfolio, which was free to us. For the two actual shoots, she's taken us to the same place at City Park here. I know City Park, but there's no way I would have ever found this spot had she not taken us there. I'd like to go back and take my own pictures there, both a family shot of us, and of some of our friends (for free, just for fun - the hubby is a hobbyist as well, and we're going to take turns shooting for each other so that we actually get in focus, well-composed shots, though I'll probably adjust settings and meter myself). The last time we were there, there was another photographer taking bridal portraits, so it's not like it's her spot only. She told me to bring my camera when we took the pictures of E, but I wasn't really up to shooting that day while trying to engage E and let her take the pictures. So, do I need to say anything to her if we go take pictures at that spot? We're facebook friends, so she'll see the pictures if I post them, so it's not like she just won't know about it. I was going to sign up for a Christmas mini session with her, but honestly I like my style of photography better than hers, and I think I can do just as good of a job.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

I don't think so. There are probably places like your city's Flickr page where people suggest places like that. It's a public park.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it . It's public property, clearly other photographers frequent it as well, I don't think it'd be awkward if you put up photos you'd taken in the same place. Now if you went back to the same place and precisely replicated a scene she'd set up, exact same posing, same composition, same lighting, etc that'd be a little off but just taking your own pics in the same part of the park? You're good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

What Niener said
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

No. It's a public place. Have fun!
          -Ladybug

Comment

Be aware that some parks have policies and you have to pay to take pics there. One of the places near our house charges $100 (it's gorgeous and I think it was being overrun). And I know a few other places in our city that charge at popular parks.

It may not apply since you're taking pics of your own child and not selling them but might want to check.

You should get a cheap trigger on Amazon too! Mine was literally $10 and it would allow you to get a pic of all 3 of you. Running into the frame doesn't work with a baby - they just look at you.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Thanks everybody! Some of the compositions may be similar, since the spot has a fun little bridge that I think would be great for family shots, and you have to compose it a certain way to take advantage of the leading lines and all, but this would be a family shot, not a maternity shot like she did for us, so it's a bit different.

T&S - The park does require commercial photographers to get a $100 daily permit, but since I'm not a pro and not getting paid to do this, I'll be OK. I do need to get a trigger...and a tripod!
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
              X