Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New camera!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New camera!

I went for it and used all my side savings to buy a new camera, the Nikon D3300. I use one for work a lot and have gotten used to it and really like it. It gets here Friday and I'm super excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a used D3200 last year in October. LOVE it!!
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I have the 3100 and got a new 50mm lens for it last summer - love it! Now if only I had the time to improve my manual skills....
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Yay, how exciting!
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Eep! So exciting
          -Ladybug

Comment

I've had my camera a little over a month and am really enjoying it. I've started using it exclusively in aperture mode, a tiny baby step on my way to manual haha. Here'a a couple pics i've taken. I think the next thing i'm going to save up for is an online photography class.

Here are a few photos i've taken, edited in lightroom. I know some of you are great photographers, would anyone be interested in a CC thread? ...not that I'd be able to contribute much but it could be fun?

GBH in the sunset2.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Comment

I think these are really great! I especially love the bottom one with the pops of green and the texture of the tree trunks.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

These are great!

I love the simplicity of the first and the silhouette of the egret. I think the only thing I'd suggest here, having juts finished my course on composition, is that you try to fit it into the rule of thirds. You generally want your horizon on either the top or bottom horizontal intersection, although it looks like maybe the bird is here? What did the SOOC shot look like?

I think on the second, your focus isn't as clear as it could be. This is where aperture mode is tricky, because you really want to be able to control the shutter speed. Does your camera have auto ISO? Sometimes I use that if I need to control aperture and shutter speed but don't necessarily have time to meter properly.

I really like the 3rd too, although I might desaturate the greens a little bit. I like how it pops, but it's a little bit on the neon side, so I'd just bring that down a little bit. I also might crop it a tiny bit from the bottom so that the water line is on the bottom rule of thirds intersection.

Hope these are helpful - I really like the shots!
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Thanks ALOY for the cc. I did put the heron at the bottom right thirds intersection. Below is the SOOR and an edit where the horizon is at the bottom horizontal. I knew about the rule of thirds and want the heron to be the focal point, which do you think achieves that better?

I lied about aperture mode with that little blue heron, that was on automatic and one of my first days shooting with the camera. I know it's not tack sharp but I was so thrilled to see that picture when I uploaded that night. It made me feel like I made a good choice with my camera, haha.

As for the cypress, yeah, i have a vibrancy problem and that's why I need to take a class. My first instinct is to bump the vibrancy of every photo because it helps get the color that I remember seeing while taking the photo, even if that's clearly not the color that I capture.

SOOR
                  gbh sunset SOOR-1.jpg

Horizon on bottom third horizontal
                  gbh sunset horizon-1.jpg

Original edit

GBH in the sunset2.jpg

Comment

beautiful!
                    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                    Let's go Mets!

Comment

I love vibrancy too, but I tend to only pull it up to 30, maybe not higher than 15 if there's a lot of greens.

With the heron shot, I think I prefer the new edit, because you still focus on the heron with its contrast against the background, but the backdrop is balanced with the ROTs. That said, it's a personal preference and the rules are all there for guidelines.

Comment

I went back to edit the vibrancy on the cypress photo and was surprised to find I only upped it to 8, the leaves are just really green,haha. Here's one of our hens, Tilly.

Tilly-1.jpg

Comment

So pretty!!
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by JustRightKelly View Post
                            I went back to edit the vibrancy on the cypress photo and was surprised to find I only upped it to 8, the leaves are just really green,haha. Here's one of our hens, Tilly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3150[/ATTACH]
                            Wonderful Click a perfect combo of Hue and saturation.

Comment

Working...
                            X