Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Outfit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfit help

Stella had some ideas for what to wear to a conference, but I'm thinking I should play it a bit more conservative. This is an academic conference setting (professors, grad students). I hijacked Lily's thread, so I thought I should start my own.

I'm Asian (I have dark hair and a fair complexion). I'm 28. 5'. Not skinny. I have broad shoulders and am somewhat busty for my frame (34B).
    married to an anesthesia attending

Thanks, Lily. When I think gray, I think matronly. But if it's dark enough, I think I could swing it. I'm afraid I'm going to sweat like mad (I'm presenting), so I might need something that's layered. I'm sure I'll want to air out.

Comment

Lily, great shoes but for a stocky short frame, they'll make legs look like stumps.

Alison, Bloomies has a great petite suit section. I would also encourage you to check out JCrew petites. I think pants are a better option for you than a skirt.

I like this

I know it's a bit on the conservative side but paired with a bright colored shirt and a funky bag will definitely bring it out of the boardroom.

Comment

I love those shoes. *drool*

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
          Lily, great shoes but for a stocky short frame, they'll make legs look like stumps.

Alison, Bloomies has a great petite suit section. I would also encourage you to check out JCrew petites. I think pants are a better option for you than a skirt.

I like this

I know it's a bit on the conservative side but paired with a bright colored shirt and a funky bag will definitely bring it out of the boardroom.
          Love the suit. I need to error on the side of conservative. You're right, I need something that ends right around the waist.

Are you referring to my legs, with the pants rather than skirt comment? Just kidding. You're absolutely right. I need pants.

I like the red shoes. Linea Paolo at Nordy's, right? I will look like Petunia Pig in those.

Comment

Is the suit JCrew or Bloomingdales?

Comment

The suit is from JCrew, if you're going to shorten the pants, get rid of the cuff. A straigt line is more elongating. You'll also find something similar at Bloomies.

I think the general look should be similar to what Boston Legal female team wears. Fun conservative.

Comment

I will go to JCrew to have a look at the suit. The JCrew here doesn't have petites, so I'd have to order the suit.

Oh man, Bloomingdales. It's so darn big - I don't like digging through all those racks...

Comment

The price is killing me on that suit, Vishenka. But I don't want to look like I slapped something together. It's wool; is that ok for April? When will it go on sale?

Comment

Alison, ask where the petite suit section is and stick to that corner. No need to wander the whole store. And they're having a sale this weekend.

The biggest, most central JCrew (is there one on Michigan Ave) should have petites (call any of the stores and ask to save a trip). They're only available in a few stores in NY too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                      Alison, ask where the petite suit section is and stick to that corner. No need to wander the whole store. And they're having a sale this weekend.

The biggest, most central JCrew (is there one on Michigan Ave) should have petites (call any of the stores and ask to save a trip). They're only available in a few stores in NY too.
                      Yeah, I'm a wanderer. If they're having a sale, do I really want to brave the crowds...? I know you're just trying to help!

The JCrew on Michigan Ave. doesn't have petites (the last I checked). We're big girls here, I guess. I'll call around, although when I was at the Michigan store last, they said I'd have to special order.

Comment

!!

Have you taken a look at the discount stores like Marshalls, etc.? I got three GREAT suits (totalling $1500 retail!!!) from GREAT brands for only $280. Three suits!!

Comment

Alison, Bloomies had a great sale this weekend. Hope you found something. I was thinking of you as I was going through the racks.

Not sure when that suit will go on sale, sorry. You can get 15% off by opening a JCrew card. That's about all I can think of. Is there a Loehmann's in Chicago? They have a pretty good suit section.

Comment

Hi! I tried on the JCrew suit, but... the stripes were pretty loud. I was surprised because they didn't seem so thick in the pictures I saw online. The cut is good though, so maybe it's just that I need to get used to the stripes... They make me look skinnier, so that was nice. I would just need to order a petite. Bloomingdales is in the same building as Jcrew, but I didn't go. It was too crowded!

Comment

Alison, try SNTL code for 10% off at JCrew.com. Hopefully it still works. If you like the cut and feel comfortable in it, deal with the stripes.

Comment

Working...
                              X