Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fashion Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fashion Q

So, I think that most of the country will agree that it is f*%^ing cold. Here is my question...given that hose (pantyhose) is a big fashion no-no, what do you do when dressing for a semiformal event in this weather? Keep in mind that I am cold natured. When everyone else is hot I am comfy. Are cold, chicken skin (goose bumps), white legs better than hose? Please say it isn't so. My event is tomorrow. Brrr.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

I've wondered this to -- and I always end up going with the nude hose and closed toe shoes. I hope people think those are my legs. I wear a big black dressy coat and rush inside. Other than that, I have nothing to offer. I'd love to hear the fashion answer.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I do not think there is anything wrong. But admit I am a product of the 80's. No outfit was without hose...or large shoulder pads.

Comment

I always wear hose with dresses unless I'm wearing open toed shoes. Even then you can by hose without toes, I wore them on my wedding day b/c I'm more comfortable in dresses with hose on. They are hard to find though.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Hose = Ick....

Go color tights....if you have to or maybe those scrunchy leg warmers from the 80s are better then hose.

Comment

Peter....are you bored?

Definitely go with the leg warmers. You'll be a trendsetter.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

I have nothing to contribute to this thread! I just thought I'd wander over and see what people talk about in fashion postings...

To put you in the picture, I had no idea there was anything wrong with wearing panty hose at night. Or not.

The only run-in I've had with the darn things was when I met my MIL for the first time, mid-stinking-summer in Japan, and I was NOT wearing hose. (Why would I be, while drenched in sweat in the middle of the day and in the absence of air conditioning?! ) She was so shocked by this apparent fashion crime (in her mind, all women must wear hose, all day, every day!) and so prejudiced against non-Japanese women, that she latched on to this as the reason why DH shouldn't marry me.

Fortunately he didn't concur with her that women who don't wear hose are hoes, and the rest is history. (sorry about that one...)

Comment

I think the story goes that Ann Wintour (sp?) - the editor of Vogue that they modelled the Devil Wears Prada lady after- stopped wearing nude hose at the fashion week shows and everyone else followed suit. Wearing hose that mimics skin was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Now, tights and opaque hose are back in, but I think the nude stuff is still considered a fashion faux pas.
                Angie

Comment

Bored? YES

But hose are stilly icky to me....ever reach over and think you are going to touch a womans skin and get a icky hose along you skin like fingernails on a chaulkboard?

I think the hooters girls wear hose.

shiver.

Comment

BTW: thank god I get to wear pants.

Comment

Believe me Peter - as cold natured as I am, there have been many times that I have wished for the legwarmers

Comment

Oops - my keyboard died and I had to change the batteries. Anyway, back to me

I am wearing a black lace skirt (Ann Taylor) - got it on sale last week. Hits right below the knee. I thought about black hose but I look too somber. However, I probably will go with the black because it is better to be comfortable right? Still, I'd like to know what is the current style/trend. I have several female stylish/trendy friends that do not own a pair of hose and swear they will never wear any.

Did think about the fake tan but that won't keep the goose bumps away. I suppose the real question is...what do the stylish wear to semiformal events when the weather is below freezing?

Thanks for your suggestions!!

PS - thank you Peter for the male perspective.

Comment

Well, I went and wore the black hose. Was way more comfortable but as I suspected, everyone else went without. Or so it seemed. I also saw many open toe shoes and strapless dresses. Brrrr. Maybe once I get to hot-flashes age I'll be able to be more stylish.

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
                            Well, I went and wore the black hose. Was way more comfortable but as I suspected, everyone else went without. Or so it seemed. I also saw many open toe shoes and strapless dresses. Brrrr.
                            That's probably what I would wear. I own a ton of strapless cocktail dresses and would probably wear them with peep toe shoe sans hose. I almost NEVER wear hose unless it is the knee high ones under a pair of pants... and just to keep my feet a little warmer.

I know, no help here. But the current "style" is no hose.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                              The weird thing about the no-hose movement is that every fugly thing from the 80s is back.
                              Very well said.

I do not lie...I did see someone wearing leg warmers several months ago. Granted, it was one...but one is one too many.

Comment

Working...
                              X