Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Work clothes on a tropical island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work clothes on a tropical island

Vishenka and anyone who's lived and worked in a hot climate, I need your help.

As I mentioned before, we're going to the Caribbean this summer. I already got a job there and I'm looking for suggestions on what's appropriate work attire on a tropical island.

The job is in a Kinko's type office, basically running the whole office when the owner isn't there. I've worked in very professional environments up until now (think Merrill Lynch) and I don't think my work clothes are entirely appropriate for the island. The employer did mention they're very conservative over there. Obviously I didn't expect to show up to works in shorts and a tank top but I imagine that a business suit is not required either.

I have plenty of nice shirts and tops to wear, my main problem are the bottoms and the shoes. Dress pants seem too dressy, capris are entirely too relaxed in my mind. Moderately high heel shoes have worked great for me so far, but I cannot see myself wearing them over there. On the other hand, I don't think I want to wear Birks or flip flops. So what type of bottoms and shoes should I get? As you can see, I'm having a hard time finding a middle ground here.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Skirts! Target has a ton of work appropriate summer weight skirts right now. I'd start off in closed toe shoes and see what other people wear. It's always easier to go more casual than the other direction.

Jenn

Comment

I completely agree that it's easier to go more casual than the other way around. I was trying to get it right on the first try since my shopping will be greatly limited while on the island. Online shopping will end up being fairly costly due to shipping and there are no clothing stores to speak of on the island. I'll be returning briefly this summer for my citizenship interview, so this is pretty much my last time to try things out in a store.

Thanks for the Target skirt suggestion. I'll stop by Target tomorrow because I need a couple of other things there anyway.
      Cristina
      IM PGY-2

Comment

skirts, linen, cotton, comfy shoes, flip flops, sandals.

i found the caribbean to be very casual.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

When I worked in Houston (not "tropical" I know...but still hot as all get out!), we were business casual. I wore a lot of Dockers-type pants with fitted button down shirts or skirts. On my feet I wore shoes with a low heel - some closed and some open.

Kate
          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I was having such a hard time figuring out what the dress code was, especially since one person told me it was "relaxed" and then the boss said it was "conservative." :huh:
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette
              Thanks for the suggestions. I was having such a hard time figuring out what the dress code was, especially since one person told me it was "relaxed" and then the boss said it was "conservative." :huh:
              I wouldn't be surprised if it's "relaxed" compared to Merrill Lynch but "conservative" compared to how most people dress on a tropical island.
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

cristina, if its anything like dominica ( ) doubtful. the people that work for a chain...like the banks, the school..they all had uniforms.

also, cable and wireless....i believe they're on saba as well, they also had uniforms.

what i saw people wearing at other places of work was SO super casual. usually a skirt with a t-shirt and flip flops.

i dont think you should stress about it at all. not to say you are.
                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I was thinking it's probably relaxed to outsiders but the locals probably don't see it as such anymore since they've lived in that environment for so long.

There's no uniform at this place so I'm not off the hook when it comes to procuring work suitable clothes. Oh well, I needed some summery clothes anyway.

And yes, I *WAS* stressing. I stress about everything. My nickname should be Stressy McStressy Pants.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

I think what he meant by conservative was a certain level of coverage not style. I'd stick to knee length or below skirts and croped pants (ankle length). Get a pair of low heel mules and some sandals. Start with mules but most likely the sandals will be fine too.

Comment

Working...
                    X